Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C25K for the Morbidly Obese?

Hey folks, there is NO way I can run... like, I'll get eaten by zombies for sure. But... I thought about doing the C25K on the elliptical. I've been reading that it doesn't compare.... so, that's a bit discouraging. Thoughts?

I'm 5'5 and 281 lbs at 33 years old.

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

My thought if you cannot run is to do what you can. If that means the elliptical then do that. Just start somewhere to get moving. Try to find something you enjoy so you are more likely to stick to it. If you start that way you will be fit enough at some point to start the C25K program. Don't run before you can as you are sure to get injuries that way.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

I think the C25K program might be a bit intense at the beginning. What I would recommend is repeating each C25K workout twice, which will add an extra month onto the program and give your body more time to adjust. It's fine on a treadmill, so I don't see why elliptical would be any problem. Best of luck.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

@adecka3 — an elliptical can be great exercise.  But it’s great to get outside and move around too.  You might try a “walk and walk a little faster” approach to a c25k program.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Just check with your primary care physician before you start and get the standard physical & blood work.  You might also want to ask for an insulin sensitivity test.  Also, exercise is great, but you might also want to look at your diet.  (I'm not saying starve yourself, just log and look at what you are eating and the balance between macronutrients.)  Many health insurance companies offer free health coaching and dietician services.  

Eric

I'm down more than 40 lbs in the past year with 10K steps a day and a diet low in processed cards, small amounts of sweet fruits and starchy vegetables, lots of protein and healthy fats. 

Best Answer

hey there @adecka3 hmm, I don't know that there is NO way you can run. I think there is, just not today. You have to work up to it. If you aren't overly active then starting on the elliptical is a really good idea. It is not as intense on the joints, but still works up a sweat if you put effort into it. I love your idea. Do it for a few weeks consistently and then take it outside or a treadmill and try a very light jog. see how you feel. You might surprise yourself. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Go for walks to start with and enjoy the sunshine

Best Answer

Funny you should mention that eaten by zombies thing....

Okay, bit of backstory on me. I'm asthmatic and overweight. Like, nearly got intubated one asthma attack, and DID end up pulling a chest muscle so badly there was concern I'd need surgery, though I ended up getting away with a week of strict bed rest and six weeks in a sling. So easing into exercise slowly, and sloooowly building it up is the ONLY way I can do things. I could literally die if I push too hard. I also HATE both drill sergeant nasty trainers and the peppy, perky workout barbie trainers with a passion.

Then someone introduced me to an app that I'm absolutely addicted to. It's called Zombies, Run! You listen to it like a podcast, no interaction with your phone after you start each episode. A plot clip will play, some of your own music will play, another plot clip will play, until the episode is over. It's set shortly after a supposed zombie apocalypse, and you're on a supply chopper going from a military base to a small walled settlement when your chopper goes down. The voice over your headset says they saw the crash, if there are any survivors you have to head for the township, they can help you if you can get close, they don't know if there is anyone who survived, but if there is anyone, you have to move, the zombies were attracted to the sound of the crash, they're coming, RUN!

Small spoiler: You don't actually have to, you can turn that feature off, and walk instead, which is how I did it. There is also a couch to 5k trainer that's free for the first few weeks of episodes, and only a few dollars after that. It includes the first episode of the main story, and takes place plot-wise between episodes one and two, so it's a great starting point. The plot of the trainer is that you made it to the township, and you're training to be a supply runner. As in, someone who deliberately goes out into the zombie infested wilderness in search of supplies to help the settlement. As a result, the training coach, the doctor of the township, is deeply respectful of you, encouraging, and regularly urges you to keep to a pace that works for you, not pushing it too hard, just to what you can do, you'll get there. For me, this is the perfect tone. She doesn't make me feel like a failure for not being able to immediately just go for it, and the trainer starts off slow, and stays manageable, at least for me.

If that still sounds like a bit too much of a jump, there is a sister app, a spy thriller called The Walk. I haven't played that yet, but from what I can see, it's main idea is that you're taking important information somewhere, and you cannot attract attention, so you have to keep it to a walk. I've heard it is also very good, and from what I've seen of Zombies, Run!, I'd expect it to be equally compelling. I work best with motivation like a plot to follow, so if that helps you, maybe one of those apps or the trainer will be up your alley. Good luck, and I hope you do well!

Best Answer

Good review of Zombies Run! @LittleShadow.  I love that program.  I usually do an episode or two every week listening to my playlist between episode segments.  I'm about 1/2 way through Season 5. 

You will like "the Walk" too.  Great way to crank up your daily steps.  Copying its description below:

"Created with the NHS and the UK's Department of Health, The Walk helps you walk more, every single day. When you’re playing The Walk, every step counts.

A bomb explodes in Inverness station, and you’re given a package that could save the world. To stay alive, you’ll need to walk the length of the UK. The Walk is more than just a great pedometer/step counter — it's a way to turn walking into a journey, a challenge, and a rip-roaring adventure."

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Thanks! I just found Zombies Run! to be such a good motivator for me, that I thought it would be good to share. I'm halfway through season 3....and I started earlier this year. I probably would enjoy The Walk too, but I don't think I'll try it until I catch up to the current season of Zombies Run. I can only spend so many hours a day walking, after all! 

I've had days where I've ended up spending over an hour and a half walking, because I've gotten caught up in the story and keep wanting to listen to the next episode. I've gone from sedentary to....well, my best day last week was 17,098 steps and 7.54 miles, because there was a string of episodes that I just had to finish. I've had days where I've broken 20k steps! I did the 5k and 10k races last spring, and I'm signed up for the races again this fall.

I'm still a bit lazy though, so it's good I get my fitbit to buzz at me to get up off my butt at least once an hour when I'm not running briskly walking from zombies.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't find running enjoyable at all when my BMI is higher...29-30+. I really start to enjoy running when my weight comes down a bit 27-29 BMI, then running feels good! Having said that, you can do whatever you feel is right, but understand that being overweight or obese (according to BMI) makes running, even just a little bit of running harder and much less enjoyable.

Walking is a much more enjoyable activity that can be done safely and by anyone, normal weight, overweight or even obese and it burns tons of calories especially if you are bigger! I find I can successfully lose weight with walking only, a lot of walking! I run now because it's an activity I really enjoy, not to lose weight necessarily, but because it actually feels good and I enjoy it!

Best Answer