Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COPD, High HR during activity?

Hello FB Community,

I could use your help. I'm 47, was diagnosed with mild COPD, weigh 235, stand 5' 10" tall. I have led a sedentary lifestyle for years and am trying to reverse course and make 2021 and on a new lifestyle change. I have smoked for 28 years, and when I do any activity, whether it be shoveling snow, going upstairs, etc., even if it's only a few minutes, my heart rate hits the 140's, 150's... I take Atenolol and when I get these spikes, my HR tends to level off to normal within 10-30 minutes. Any idea how - bad this is? Moreover, any idea on starting an exercise routine that will help me lose weight, improve my lung capacity. I'm starting the nicotine patch in a few days and ending my relationship with cigarettes... I was just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences with COPD, high HR when doing even the most menial tasks. Appreciate all advice, and thank-you all for your thoughtful help. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Just FYI on using your device under your conditions then.

Calories reported as burned during exercise are based on calculations using HR.

It's not a measurement of calories burned only a measurement of HR, it's a calculation based on stats and averages - and yours will be terrible compared to average.

Therefore the calculated calorie burn will be likely badly inflated when based on HR while on meds and with disease probably.

After you have used the Exercise function and log an activity of walking say, go create a manual workout with the same start time, duration, and know the mileage to enter.

Log that and accept the stated calorie burn given - which will mostly likely be much smaller, and a very accurate calculated estimate.

That manual workout will replace the calorie burn in your daily stats, so your eating goal is now correct.

But you'll still be able to see your HR data for comparison down the road when you start to see improvements.

Also, exercise routine is for healthy heart and body improvement, most side effects is water weight gain for many reasons, not weight loss.

Weight loss is handled by eating less than you burn in total, hence needing to have an accurate estimate.

Only thing exercise does for losing weight is allowing you to eat more and lose the same amount than if none was done.

Will you adhere to a diet better if you burn 2500 daily and eat 2000 on average, and exercise?

Or no exercise and burn 2000, and only get to eat 1500?

Most would prefer to eat more and still lose. And it makes for better workouts anyway.

Walking would probably be a good start for you. Good shoes for extended time on feet may be needed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank-you so much for your insights. This has been a deeming problem as I
live in a cooler climate. The other day the high temperature was -8, 20cm
snow on the ground. And with the lockdown, no malls are open. One other
concern I have is with the Atenolol to stabalise my HR. My resting is about
60 with the med. Before I started the med, it was 75-80. I know to lose
weight, HR has to be increased, I just have to be careful that it doesn't
go too high. I have oxygen, but my blood saturation numbers are almost
always excellent, 96-98.

This is very frustrating. I know that I can't erase almost 50 years of bad
habits in just a few months, I just want to start on a healthy path, one
that I will get down to a healthy weight, be able to breathe better.

Again, thanks so much for your kind feedback.

All the best.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Why do you think HR has to increase to lose weight?

As any muscle, the heart has to be pushed slightly more than it is currently used in order to make improvements - that would include the lungs for getting oxygen and the vascular system for moving said oxygen around, and muscles to use it better.

But that doesn't have anything to do with with losing weight, that has to with improving fitness.

You lose weight by eating less than you burn - end of story there.

Everything else helps you to adhere and sustain to that attempt.

Logging food accurately and knowing what you burn daily is what enables you to know if that attempt is being hit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes