Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calculate daily goals?

ANSWERED

Hi,

I'm new to Fitbit (I've received new Fitbit device today) and I would like to ask you about one thing at "daily goals". I've done setup and fitbit app calculated to me my daily goals according to my setup (lose weight, etc.). And I've managed, that steps, distance and active minutes has been calculated, but "calories burned" hasn't been (I've insert 3000 manually). So I would like to ask you - how can I recalculate my daily goals according to my weight goal? Or these daily goals are not calculated?

Thanks for reply in advance! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

One way to set a daily burn goal is look at what is a reasonable rate of loss for amount to lose to healthy weight. And how much you need to eat daily that you will adhere to. That is very individual. Something sustainable for when you go past the diet is very useful too. If the way you eat during the diet can't be sustained afterwards, then failure is around the corner - statistically of course.

For instance the 80% or more that fail to reach goal weight and/or maintain for a year attempt extreme diets - so you want to avoid that.

If you have under 30 lbs to lose to healthy weight, than a 500 cal deficit is reasonable.

Over 50 lbs 1000 can be reasonable.

The 750 and 250 deficit falls in there too.

Feel like you need to eat about 2000 daily to be happy and adhere to that?

Then set your daily burn goal to 2500.

Knowing if you fail to reach that, you can either eat your 2000 and accept a tad less fat loss that week, or eat less than 2000 and look forward to tomorrow being better.

Some people get miserable if eating too low, and then binges will come and wipe out a huge part of their effort, and that messes them up mentally/emotionally - so why bother setting up for failure.

Set it realistically and make it obtainable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

One way to set a daily burn goal is look at what is a reasonable rate of loss for amount to lose to healthy weight. And how much you need to eat daily that you will adhere to. That is very individual. Something sustainable for when you go past the diet is very useful too. If the way you eat during the diet can't be sustained afterwards, then failure is around the corner - statistically of course.

For instance the 80% or more that fail to reach goal weight and/or maintain for a year attempt extreme diets - so you want to avoid that.

If you have under 30 lbs to lose to healthy weight, than a 500 cal deficit is reasonable.

Over 50 lbs 1000 can be reasonable.

The 750 and 250 deficit falls in there too.

Feel like you need to eat about 2000 daily to be happy and adhere to that?

Then set your daily burn goal to 2500.

Knowing if you fail to reach that, you can either eat your 2000 and accept a tad less fat loss that week, or eat less than 2000 and look forward to tomorrow being better.

Some people get miserable if eating too low, and then binges will come and wipe out a huge part of their effort, and that messes them up mentally/emotionally - so why bother setting up for failure.

Set it realistically and make it obtainable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes