Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many people out there have actual walking workouts and what is involved?

I would like to begin a  weekly walking program. What do I need to do? Are there different types?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

I started slow. Went as far as I could and turned around. I would add more went I felt I could go further. Once I got my miles down I added speed.

I walk 7 days a week it depends on the day. But during the week I only have time for 3 Miles. Weekends I do 4-10.

Its up to you how much you can do and what you have time for. But I love to walk outdoors and early in the morning. Sunrises are beautiful! The only thing that stops me is Rain.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

I aim for at least one hour of "formal" exercise a day. I used to eat lunch at my desk about 11:45, tank up on a quart of water, then walk the entire lunch hour. I walked the same one-hour route almost every day so I could reliably get back to work on time while still using up every last minute of freedom on foot!

Now that I am "nearly" retired, I enjoy a lot more exercise variety but walking is still my main course.

In order to walk every day you will need good walking shoes. There are many different opinions on walking shoes. I use a zero elevation shoe (such as Merrill or Alta) which means the heel is not elevated above the toes, as in most shoes. However zero elevation shoes take a lot of getting used to because they stretch the foot and ankle ligaments differently than the shoes we are used to and, if you transition too quickly, you can really hurt your feet.

Getting started, you should probably select a shoe with some heel elevation (unless you spent the last year walking barefoot on the beach), but not a lot. Look for a shoe that is roomy in the toe box but snug in the heel/ankle region when laced. I want enough room to wiggle and spread my toes, but I don't want my heel to lift out of the shoe. The toe region should bend easily so that you can flex your foot while walking. If the shoe is built too solidly, don't choose it. That shoe won't let your foot move as naturally as it should. I prefer a little bit of tread for grip, but not so much tread that it stiffens the sole.

Good walking shoes are a good investment. They could save you from a costly disease that you might get for NOT walking!

Socks are another consideration. Wool and cotton are both great in their respective seasons, but my favorite sock is made from olefin fibers (the brand I buy is called DryMax). These socks wick moisture away from the foot, are warm if they get wet, and have an "anti-blister" claim that seems to be true but I don't understand it. I have worn those socks in miserable conditions even with mesh uppers and my foot stays warm and comfortable. They also are very slow to wear holes, unlike cotton and wool.

Moving up the body you'll want a comfy pair of pants. A bit of stretch is nice. Pockets are essential for your keys and ID. You can wear anything you want on top, but I found that I often needed a hat for shade when walking at noon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for posting :exclamation_mark:

Good information!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got a dog and with 2 short (30-45 min ) walks can easily hit 5 mi

Best Answer
0 Votes