Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COPD & Heart Damage

A few years ago I had to get surgery for diverticulitis and they had to test my heart and lungs before they could do the surgery because I was obese and a smoker.

They told me that I had COPD and also told me I had a heart attack at some point in my life because part of the bottom of my heart was slightly enlarged.

Back then I could barely walk a mile at a slow pace (3 mph) without having to lay down afterward. I was sweating profusely, all my joints where killing me, and I was gasping for air.

I kept at it for about 2 and a half years now, and now I can power walk at over a 4 mph pace for 10 miles and run 5 miles. Now my breathing is like they describe in the information about heart rate zones and how your breathing should be in each zone. If I am in the peak zone I am huffing and puffing and can maintain that for up to an hour. If I am in the cardio zone I can speak short sentences but cannot sing. If I am in the fat burn zone its like I am not even exercising.

I recently had another stress test done to check my heart and it came back excellent. The cardiologist told me that my heart is very strong now and there is absolutely nothing wrong anymore. I told him about my staying in the peak zone for up to an hour, and he said that is probably the reason.

I have not had my lungs tested yet, but I'd be willing to bet that they are fine now too.

I used electronic cigarettes to quit smoking and have not smoked a cigarette in over a year now.

People say that you cant heal COPD, but they also say that you cant heal your heart once you have a heart attack too.

On a side not, I have cut my bad cholesterol in half and more than doubled my good cholesterol, and all my other blood work that used to be a mess is now perfectly normal. My doctor is in AWE of me and uses me as an example for his other patients.

This is the main reason for my motto...

If you ain't huffing and puffing and sweating, you ain't doing it right...:)

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Congratulations!

A few comments:

• Given you can keep your heart rate in the peak zone for an hour, this suggests your max heart rate is higher than the calculated 220-Age formula would suggest.
  • When I changed my Max Heart Rate via the Dashboard from 160 to 185 my graphs went from showing me in the peak zone for virtually the entire time I am running (which can be over two hours on some days) to only getting up there when I'm letting it all hang out on a run (say cranking up a long hill or heading for the finish line of a race).
  • I have also heard COPD cannot be reversed; it's awesome when you do something which is generally thought to be impossible.  Congratulations again!
Best Answer

@shipo wrote:

Congratulations!

A few comments:

• Given you can keep your heart rate in the peak zone for an hour, this suggests your max heart rate is higher than the calculated 220-Age formula would suggest.
  • When I changed my Max Heart Rate via the Dashboard from 160 to 185 my graphs went from showing me in the peak zone for virtually the entire time I am running (which can be over two hours on some days) to only getting up there when I'm letting it all hang out on a run (say cranking up a long hill or heading for the finish line of a race).
  • I have also heard COPD cannot be reversed; it's awesome when you do something which is generally thought to be impossible.  Congratulations again!

Thanks @shipo

I have gotten my HR up to 165 (with a chest strap HRM) but could only hold that for about 15 to 30 seconds, and my stress test showed my MHR to be 163 or 164.

Don't forget that fitbit uses a 3 zone system and peak starts at 86% of MHR, so even the low 90%'s could be sustained for quite a while. Once I get into the 150 to 155 BPM range I start to peter out pretty quickly so I think I'm in the ballpark. Although I may wind up setting my MHR in the fitbit app to 165.

I'm 60 years old.

Thanks again,

Best Answer
0 Votes

bcalvanese wrote: 

I'm 60 years old.

Yup, I think I remember being something like three months older than you.  🙂

Best Answer

This is what I dislike about the Western medical world. They disregard the self healing capabilities of our bodies. Something you have proven is possible. That is very inspiring.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Hi Pace Setter; congratulations. We’re you keeping track of your oxygen? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is were ...stupid auto correct 

Best Answer

@Challenging wrote:

That is were ...stupid auto correct  

Totally agree, I'm very capable of creating my own typos 😊

Best Answer