Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couch 2 5K- wanting to start

I've been reading lots of different websites and think I'm ready for the c25k.  I used to walk 10km a day.  Currently, I do walk all day at work but not all that much outside of work as I'm so tired.  My job is quite physical.  I do yoga several time a week but that's about it.

Wondering if anyone has any tips?

Should I jump right into it?  Should I start walking every day again (outside of work)?  

And last but not least, when do you find the best time to walk/run, morning or night?

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

A lot of people will download the C25K app and use it to get started. There are several out there so I would google for it to see which one  suits you the best.

@SunsetRunner wrote:
Should I jump right into it?  Should I start walking every day again (outside of work)?  Yes some also start on a treadmill as well. But if you plan on doing any races then outside is best or both as it is different outside than in

And last but not least, when do you find the best time to walk/run, morning or night? I think this depends on you. I like morning when its not so hot

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner: It all depends how you feel. If you are really tired after work, You would not enjoy whether you are going for a walk or a run. So when you find time, start walking/running in a manageable way. See how you feel and go from there.

Morning or Evening or Night - Once again it's on you. During summer time, If it is too hot or humid condition, I prefer doing early in the morning. 

Good Luck!

Best Answer

I've recently done just this, I started using a couch to 5K training plan I found online, but it wasn't right for me so I switched to using the C25K app by Zenlabs

It's well worth watching some videos or reading up on running technique, particularly heal strike ... and avoid it before your knees start to complain.

https://www.fitbit.com/user/5KRRJY
Best Answer

Thanks for the replies.
I have been looking at the different apps, and my gosh are there lots to choose from. Ill be having a closer look at them and find which one is better for me.

I got up early this morning and took my dog for a walk down the beach.  Ended up being a 2.25 km walk so that was a good start.  I've been finding it very difficult to get out of bed in the mornings, probably because I'm lacking physical activity outside of work, and I feel great.  I'm not dreading going into work this morning.

I will definitely be looking at some running techniques as my knees and heels are always the problem areas.  

Thanks a bunch!

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner,

Heel and knee problems are usually caused by over striding. The general rule is your foot should not land farther forward than your nose. 

I haven't used Couch 2 5k, but I am using a slow progression training program. Better to go slow than to get injured.

This one looks as good as any. Better to get started than to search for the perfect app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Let us know how it goes @SunsetRunner

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

How did it go? Did you find an app to suit you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did!  I got the C25K app from zenlabs.

ive been walking all weekend and I'll be starting the program today!

Best Answer

I found the first 4 weeks the toughest, but once I could run for 5 mins I found increasing to 8, 12, 20 30 mins much easier as my cardio wasn't holding me back.

Yesterday I ran my first ever 10k in 61:10 just 10 weeks after being a couch potato 😁

Good luck!

https://www.fitbit.com/user/5KRRJY
Best Answer

That is so awesome!  Good for you!!!  That's some motivation right there for me 😀

I can imagine it'll be tough in the beginning but I think I'm mentally prepared for that.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I started C25K 3 weeks ago from being a literal couch potato (probably 3,000-4,000 steps per day), and I've found it enjoyable. The weeks move at a gradual pace, and I'm finding that my body is getting tired before my lungs, surprisingly enough. I'm planning to repeat weeks that were especially hard, since it has been a few years since I've done any type of moderate exercise. Can't wait to see how you like it! 

Best Answer

The great thing about the C25k app, is that it starts you very slow and slowly builds up.  I was extremely out of shape the first time I did it and I didn't have too much trouble with.  I say, just jump right in!  🙂  Personally, I run in the mornings because that's the only time I have without my little helpers distracting me.  I hate running at night.  My favorite time to run in on my lunch breaks when it's warm.  Currently, it's not warm, so I'm a treadmill jockey at 4AM.  🙂  I would try both and see what feels good to you.  Since you're so tired when you get home, it might be very easy to not do your run.  Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I highly recommend finding a C25K group near you. Running with people is what really helped me push through. I finished my first 5K at 41:23 just a few weeks ago.

Having friendly people to do the program with was super helpful for me because I felt accountable to keep showing up. I'm currently running on treadmills (it's winter in the northeast & I can't run on ice) but super looking forward to running with the group again in the spring.

Trust the program. It works. 

Best Answer
0 Votes