Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calf muscle strain

ANSWERED

Hi Fitbitters

I think that I strained my calf muscle a couple of weeks ago and although I have had some physio and it has improved, if I walk longer than 1 hour I am struggling for the rest of the day.  Up until then I was really maintaining my fitness (approx 90km per week) but in the last couple of weeks, because of this I have lost my mojo.  Can anyone give me some advice on stretching / walking through the pain and staying motivated?

Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Louie_V wrote:

Hi Fitbitters

I think that I strained my calf muscle a couple of weeks ago and although I have had some physio and it has improved, if I walk longer than 1 hour I am struggling for the rest of the day.  Up until then I was really maintaining my fitness (approx 90km per week) but in the last couple of weeks, because of this I have lost my mojo.  Can anyone give me some advice on stretching / walking through the pain and staying motivated?

Thanks 🙂

I would not insist on walking through the pain. The pain is the signal your body is sending you that something isn't right. Perhaps the condition is more than muscle strain. If it is just strain and you did not give it enough time to heal, perhaps that's the reason you're still experiencing the pain. I assume that the physio sessions came as a result of a visit with your family doctor and that his/her diagnosis did not reveal anything else than just a strained muscle.

So for me, I think that the type of shoes you're wearing might also be at the root cause of this issue, especially if things got better after physio; and if it's only after an extended walk that the problem resurfaces and spoils the rest of your day. That IMHO points to footwear-induced fatigue.

My suggestion would be to invest some time to investigate and find a good foot clinic in your area and seek expert advice on the best shoe for you. I used to have severe chronic shin splints that would kick in within 15 minutes or so into a walk/jog workout. I knew that I was not a pro/supi-nator, that I needed a neutral shoe.  So I would look for bargains at local sport shops and on line and buy supposedly the best deal I could find. 

If you are already wearing shoes based on expert advice, I would seek a second opinion. I had to go to three different shops before I finally found someone competent. The first specialized shop was also a retail store and I ended up buying from them, only to return the shoes the next day. The shoes were absolutely atrocious, meant for overpronators, not for me at all. My shoes wear out evenly, I am neutral.

The second shop I went to (they didn't sell regular shoes) recommended two shoes, both meant for supinators - so again, wrong advice. But basically, they told me that I was too old for extensive brisk walks and jogging workouts, with or without intervals; and that I would be bettr off to pick another activity. I just thanked them for their help and left, with $50 spent for nothing.

The third shop recommended two neutral shoes, with plenty of cushioning on the heel and midsole. And I am still going for 60-90 walk/jog interval workouts every second day, weather permitting ... I'll be 67 in October.

One more tip. Once you find the right shoe, if indeed footwear turns out to be at the root cause of your calf pain, the next time you need a new pair, by two pairs instead of one; and alternate, wearing one pair one day, the other the next. Most fitness shoes include memory foam. By alternating, you give the foam a chance to fully recover and you will thus maintain and prolong the efficiency of the cushioning. Your annual footwear cost won't be any greater fot it - instead of buying a new pair every six months, you will just end up buying two pairs once a year. Most of my local shops here have deals (two for one, or buy one pair and get the next at 50% discount ...), so it works out well.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Smiley Happy  TW  Smiley Wink

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Allow your body to recover by providing the rest it needs when possible @Louie_V 

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo302/ChrystaG/GetWellSoon1.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Louie_V wrote:

Hi Fitbitters

Thanks 🙂

I would not insist on walking through the pain. The pain is the signal your body is sending you that something isn't right. Perhaps the condition is more than muscle strain. If it is just strain and you did not give it enough time to heal, perhaps that's the reason you're still experiencing the pain. I assume that the physio sessions came as a result of a visit with your family doctor and that his/her diagnosis did not reveal anything else than just a strained muscle.

So for me, I think that the type of shoes you're wearing might also be at the root cause of this issue, especially if things got better after physio; and if it's only after an extended walk that the problem resurfaces and spoils the rest of your day. That IMHO points to footwear-induced fatigue.

My suggestion would be to invest some time to investigate and find a good foot clinic in your area and seek expert advice on the best shoe for you. I used to have severe chronic shin splints that would kick in within 15 minutes or so into a walk/jog workout. I knew that I was not a pro/supi-nator, that I needed a neutral shoe.  So I would look for bargains at local sport shops and on line and buy supposedly the best deal I could find. 

If you are already wearing shoes based on expert advice, I would seek a second opinion. I had to go to three different shops before I finally found someone competent. The first specialized shop was also a retail store and I ended up buying from them, only to return the shoes the next day. The shoes were absolutely atrocious, meant for overpronators, not for me at all. My shoes wear out evenly, I am neutral.

The second shop I went to (they didn't sell regular shoes) recommended two shoes, both meant for supinators - so again, wrong advice. But basically, they told me that I was too old for extensive brisk walks and jogging workouts, with or without intervals; and that I would be bettr off to pick another activity. I just thanked them for their help and left, with $50 spent for nothing.

The third shop recommended two neutral shoes, with plenty of cushioning on the heel and midsole. And I am still going for 60-90 walk/jog interval workouts every second day, weather permitting ... I'll be 67 in October.

One more tip. Once you find the right shoe, if indeed footwear turns out to be at the root cause of your calf pain, the next time you need a new pair, by two pairs instead of one; and alternate, wearing one pair one day, the other the next. Most fitness shoes include memory foam. By alternating, you give the foam a chance to fully recover and you will thus maintain and prolong the efficiency of the cushioning. Your annual footwear cost won't be any greater fot it - instead of buying a new pair every six months, you will just end up buying two pairs once a year. Most of my local shops here have deals (two for one, or buy one pair and get the next at 50% discount ...), so it works out well.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Smiley Happy  TW  Smiley Wink

Best Answer

Push through the pain and your body will eventually find a way to repair despite your unwise choices - by taking you out of commission for weeks on end possibly.

Nothing like a torn achilles to knock you out for 6-12 weeks.

Would that cut in to your walking goals?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Stefan

This pic is totally apt for my clinic we dont have such nice ones 

do u have more like these thanks 

Dr.Gandhi
Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks a lot StefanC

Dr.Gandhi
Best Answer

Hi there,

I strained my calf muscle last year and was out for months as a result. The mistake i made was over streaching the muscle, especially when it wasnt warm enough. I would suggest lighter activity for at least a couple of weeks so that the micro tears can heal. warm compress can also help with gentle stretching,

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is a very good point @sisterrunner. I see many folks stretching before they start their run, and that's about the worst thing anyone can do. Warm-up first and then stretch - streching thus muscles prior to warming them up first is the perfect recipe for injuries and undue strains.

TW

Best Answer
0 Votes

I completely agree about how critical the right shoes are.  That said, after my foot injury from old shoes, my physical therapist recommended 1.custom made inserts - made from a mold of your foot (I couldn't afford that but I know people who suffered for years until they got them or  2. purchasing inserts that can go into all your shoes.  I went that route.  It took me several tries  - I needed something softer when I was still hurting, and now wear something with a lot of support, not cushioning.  It is critical that the shoes/inserts are right for your feet - how you walk, your arch, etc.

The other thing to pay attention to is exercising and stretching.  We tend to exercise our big muscles, which is great.  But your foot has hundreds of tiny muscles and tendons, and those, as well as every muscle and tendon up through your hips,need to be strong and flexible.  Tightness or imbalance or weakness any place will through off everything, cause other muscles to take over, and create too much exertion in the wrong places.  When I keep up with my foot, knee and hip exercises my energy level goes up and I walk with a spring in my step.  (So why do I sometimes stop doing them??)

Talk to an exercise physiologist, physical therapist orthopedist, ...etc.  

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer

Shoes are so important.  I am an underpronator and I was wearing shoes that were all wrong for me.  Some days I'd be fine, and other days I'd have pain in the calves and ankles so bad I wanted to fall over.  I kept thinking, push through the pain, push through the pain.  That's the worst thing you can do for yourself.  There are some stores specializing in footwear that have some pretty awesome ways to test your walk.  I found a local running store that specializes in all kinds of active footwear.  They have a treadmill-type device with sensors that actually take images of your feet while you walk, jog, and run on it.  Based on the results they were able to provide me several different options and even let me walk around the block a few times in them.  I also agree with something said in the thread here ... if you can afford it, buy more than one pair and alternate.  That way you're not wearing the shoe down so quickly.

Best Answer