Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calorie Count

ANSWERED

I just received my FitBit Versa for Christmas that my wife got me. Put it on yesterday. The calorie count reset at midnight tonight, but says as of 8am this morning I've burned 686 calories? Is that right? I haven't done any workout yet today. Do I have the watch on too loose? Any thoughts or help?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@StarCity hey there and let me also welcome you to the community. nothing to worry about- all is working as it should. you can use an online calculator to see what your BMR is based on age, height and weight, so you have some idea of what you burn through activity vs what you burn by being at the end of the day. You can also do a TDEE calculator which will give you your expected burn based on all of the above plus activity levels. Here is a helpful resource to learn more about BMR vs TDEE if you are interested BMR TDEE the difference 

Elena | Pennsylvania

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Welcome to the forums!

The calories burned are BMR calories. Your fitbit also calculates calories burned for your BMR. You burn calories just by being alive! Even Sleeping. Fitbit includes these burned calories in it's calorie calculations, so even if you did not wear the fitbit, you'll still burn these calories.

Read this http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-does-Fitbit-know-how-many-calories-I-ve-burne...

Hope to see you around the forums! Join in on the discussions forums!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

@StarCity hey there and let me also welcome you to the community. nothing to worry about- all is working as it should. you can use an online calculator to see what your BMR is based on age, height and weight, so you have some idea of what you burn through activity vs what you burn by being at the end of the day. You can also do a TDEE calculator which will give you your expected burn based on all of the above plus activity levels. Here is a helpful resource to learn more about BMR vs TDEE if you are interested BMR TDEE the difference 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great! Thank you very much for the information!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only way zero calories happen is when you are dead. Base metabolism will consume energy to maintain life support.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When you have fitbit in exercise mode is the calories burnt including the calories you would have burnt "just by being" plus exercise? Or just the exercise? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello this happens to me as well. even I leave the Fitbit Charge 2 on Charger overnight (not wearing the FitBit) it show as I have burnt 576 Calories. Something is not wright obviously!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
That's okay, it counts the amount of calories you burn just by existing.
You burn calories in your sleep just to keep your body alive. It's called a
base metabolic rate.

I'm asking about workout mode and whether the base metabolic rate is
included in the calories burned in a workout because I want to know what I
burn above that in a workout.
Best Answer
0 Votes