Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories burned

ANSWERED

Hi there,

I have been looking at my calories burned over the last two weeks and I'm a bit confused. 

According to to myfitness pal my natural bmr is 2000 calories daily. 

So on a day I only walked 1782 steps , Fitbit said my calorie burn for the day was about 1800 calories. 

Another day 6000 steps and 2000 cals

and 14,000 steps and 2400 cals

and lastly yesterday I walked 17000 steps and burned 2700 cals. 

I feel like these are a bit inconsistent. 

I I am just curious how to figure out how many steps it takes to burn X amount of calories. Am I supposed to take exercise into consideration?

some days I just walk in place watching tv and other days I try and jog or do some kicking and punching as well. 

I know there is a calorie burnt calculator on the app that shows you how many calories you burned at what time but it is so small. 

My goal right now is to eat 1300 calories daily and have a caloric deficit of 1400 which means I burn about 700 extra calories from my Fitbit. I'm just unsure how many steps that is since every day it's different. 

Thank you in advance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

hey @curvygirly911 welcome to the community! I will do my best to answer your questions. Your calories out are an estimation. It is not exact. However, over time you will see a pattern of how much you burn with which activity which should help you determine the plus or minus of actual calorie burn. If you have a tracker that has HR it is a bit more accurate than one that relies strictly on an algorithm. Your calorie burn from an activity is determined by your effort or mets. Here is a simple calculator you can use to determine how many calories you burn per activity http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html. you can use it to determine what you are doing and also play around to figure out if there are more intense workouts you can do to increase the expenditure. Today I walked on the treadmill at 4.1 with an incline (grade) of 5. I did it for 60 minutes and I am 134 pounds. This effort gave me 6.4 mets with 407 calories burned. this is close to what my Ionic said I did so I am pretty close to actual... I hope this helps even a little...

Elena | Pennsylvania

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

hey @curvygirly911 welcome to the community! I will do my best to answer your questions. Your calories out are an estimation. It is not exact. However, over time you will see a pattern of how much you burn with which activity which should help you determine the plus or minus of actual calorie burn. If you have a tracker that has HR it is a bit more accurate than one that relies strictly on an algorithm. Your calorie burn from an activity is determined by your effort or mets. Here is a simple calculator you can use to determine how many calories you burn per activity http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html. you can use it to determine what you are doing and also play around to figure out if there are more intense workouts you can do to increase the expenditure. Today I walked on the treadmill at 4.1 with an incline (grade) of 5. I did it for 60 minutes and I am 134 pounds. This effort gave me 6.4 mets with 407 calories burned. this is close to what my Ionic said I did so I am pretty close to actual... I hope this helps even a little...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer