Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenges Unfair?

I posted this over on reddit.com/r/fitbit but wanted to also post here.

Hi folks. I've posted before that I am a new Fitbit user who is using a Charge 2 to assist in my physical therapy. My issue is that I don't walk very well so I need a cane. As a result my daily goal is much lower than most at 2,000 steps a day. I struggle to hit this but I feel it's a goal that fits me and my specific physical situation.

I like the idea of the Community so have been friending and posting as well as joining groups. I was invited to one of those weekly challenges and I accepted because I thought it would be a good way to challenge myself. However I found that if I join these I pretty much will always come in at #1 because it seems to go by percentage (%) instead of steps which I feel is very unfair to the others. Everyone else is trying to do 15 or 20k steps and here I am doing only 1k or 2k but I'm hitting 100% so therefore I win. So now I don't do challenges because that's wildly unfair to the other participants. I guess I'm just ranting but I'm also hoping someone here knows of a group that focuses on people with physical limitations I could join that would fit better for me. I've tried searching for groups with people in Physical Therapy but only found groups FOR therapists. I've also tried looking for Seniors groups but came up empty there as well. Any advice? Sorry this is so long. Thanks.

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @Gatton. I understand what you are saying. I’ve also had walking/health issues that left me at time happy to reach 2,000 steps/day. (Happily, I am now at 8,000.) Here is how I found Fitbit friends who had similar goals and problems yet still wanted to participate in challenges — I started checking out the posts in the Live-Mindfully forums ... answering where I felt comfortable ... getting to know people ... and eventually feeling comfortable enough to send friend requests and participate in challenges with like minded and like bodies people.  You could even start your own topic regarding the issue you’ve raised here, staring a conversation and maybe even making friends. 

The best result for me was staying motivated to keep moving as best I could!

Best Answer

Thank you @SunsetRunner for your thoughtful response. 

Best Answer

Hi @Gatton, nice to the see your face here in the Forums! Thanks for your comment @SunsetRunner. Heart

I wanted to let you know that I've moved your post to our Lifestyle Discussion Forums on the board Get Moving, as you will have the option to interact with different people looking for similar options regarding challenges here. If you need help with anything regarding challenges or regarding your Fitbit tracker you can post your inquiry in the Product Help Forums

Hope you find a lot of friends for your challenges! Smiley Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gatton.. hey there- I actually have a different view of your situation. I view it as who needs it more.. to me it isn't about fairness. So for you 2K is a great day. For me, 2K is a day I chose not to move. So you going over 2K in a challenge that is based on % and winning.. you earned it.. same way that if I choose to go over my goal by a percentage that is greater- I have earned it. It is all about proportions - not sameness or fairness. If folks invite you to the challenge, don't worry about it.. do your best and take home that trophy. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

It sounds like you are doing Goal Day challenges, where everyone is trying to hit their own personal goal instead of cumulative steps. Don't apologize for hitting a higher percentage than others that have bigger step goals. If the challenges give you motivation, keep doing them. I win some challenges and lose a lot more. But the fun of competing with others helps keep me moving, whether I'm in first, last or somewhere in the middle. Share you story with your friends and you may be a motivator for them. 

Best Answer