Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Condition decline, rest bpm rising, what might be the reason

Hi there,

Lately I see a trend where my rest bpm went up from an average of ca. 52 to the last few days of 59. It seems to be a slow upwards trend. However, also my fitbit is claiming my condition is declining. It went down from almost athletic to good to very good. I have done perhaps a but less exercise last week, but compared to previous periods that should not be the reason as the time spent in the gym is nearly the same. Furthermore, increasing exercise to my regular schedule does not seem to work. What can I do to change this negative trend?

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Mine does the same thing.  One week its 56 and the next is 50, not sure why it fluctuates so much.  Right now, sitting here on the couch mine is 45

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well I am not worried about fluctuations. This are, as far as I can tell, not just changes but trends (declining condition, rising rest bpm). Therefore, I am wondering what to think of this and how to stop the trend

Best Answer
0 Votes

You were asking a very similar question a few weeks ago, when your RHR was up by 2-3 bpm. So now it’s up 7 bpm instead of 2-3. It’s still no big deal IMO, especially given your RHR was lower than average to begin with, and is still relatively low at 59 bpm. My own RHR usually elevates with stress, maybe you’re experiencing something similar (for instance, switching from summer vacation mode to working mode).

As to your condition going from athletic to good: I assume you refer to the cardio fitness score Fitbit gives you (if you have a tracker that supports the feature). If so, there’s no "athletic" level: cardio fitness is ranked from "poor" to "excellent" . I’ll therefore assume your score went from "excellent" to "good", or "very good". Well, even good is still good, no need to worry about this.

Relax, meditate, live a healthy lifestyle and don’t overly worry about some numbers going up or down by a few points. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi Domique,

Thanks for the reply. That is correct. The reason why I am worried is that my condition is decreasing (I noticed it also that it I am slightly earlier out of breach during e.g. squash) and that sticking to the plan has not worked. It is the combined trend, not just the fluctutations, I am worried about. Just not sure if should change my training plan or something. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s difficult to say without knowing what your exact training routine is (split between cardio and resistance training, type of training). Same with your goals in terms of weight / body composition, your nutrition, your overall life situation (work, personal etc.). There are a lot of factors that can be at play here, but stress would be my primary suspect, whether it’s related to training (too much of it, or too intense for your recovery capabilities) or life in general.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

What kind of time period are you looking at @aaaaady?  Over the past 12 months my RHR monthlyh average was as low as 57 and as high as 62, and even throughout the month the high and low might be 5 points or more apart.  (i.e., last month's high was 60 and low was 55).  Sometimes the high to low is a straight increase or decrease over a couple of weeks, sometimes it just goes up and down.  Unless the trend you are worried about is longer than a few weeks, I wouldn't worry about it.  It will likely reverse course in a few days.RHR goes uP ... RHR goes Down ...RHR goes uP ... RHR goes Down ...

I keep my fitbit on 24/7.  If you don't wear all the time that will affect the RHR calculations.  Long bouts of exercise may actually increase it for the day just because your HR is elevated for longer periods of time.  And, of course, stress, lack of sleep, big meals, and all manner of things can account for a change from day to day.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@aaaaadyI'm a Senior in all of this... 80 next year and have a similar RHR background as @Baltoscott  and provided your GP is happy I wouldn't be too concerned.  I have none of the symptoms that the American Heart Association gives you for Bradycardia.. a condition when the RHR is lower than 60. I have been checked by my GP and Cardiologists with stress tests and it's my genetic makeup.. All clear.  My sleeping HR can get down to 43....

You can also see the affects of seasonal changes... like winter,,, extra blankets.... in the first graph below

My Cardio Fitness has just moved from 42-46 to 41-45..  I have been plotting, cause and effect of sleeping HR and RHR since a new doctor in the clinic(mine was on leave), was worried about my BP... That is the starting point on the first graph which shows the relationship between RHR and sleep.  We have just started Spring here.  The end of the graph shows a stressful period in our family..

The second graph shows 2 years of RHR from this link where I select Interday for the results.  You can only go back to January 2016 in this link.

Sleep rhr 15sep18.jpgrhr 14sep18.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

@aaaaady I think what is happening is a combination of body and mind. I think you are anxious that something is wrong which is creating stress and increased RHR which is causing an unfavorable score which is causing more questions and stress and increased- vicious cycle. If you are truly concerned you need to visit your GP. If you are concerned because your Fitbit is spitting out data that is causing concern.. take a step back and reassess. Weather is changing, your HR will go up. Sodium increase your RHR will go up. Shortness of breath during an activity that wasn't an issue- hmm, could be that you are anticipating and therefore proving yourself right. Or you are attacking the game with more gusto... check your diet, check you sleep, check external factors that could be affecting your HR... check in with your body and soul... whatever you decide, I hope all is well. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer