Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couch to 5k...Suggestions? Advice?

ANSWERED

I'm planning on starting the Couch to 5k app. I've tried a few times before; both during the school year when my work and hours were getting in the way of me working out. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to how to keep motivated using the app; how to not over work yourself; tips for running on the roads or sidewalks; tips for running where the elevation increases...anything along those lines will be most helpful, and much appreciated. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I finished the couch-to-5k a couple of weeks ago. I found that listening to audiobooks was better for me than listening to music. I was listening to the book rather than constantly thinking about how much I wanted to stop running and walk instead.

As for not overworking, I think the best thing is to not do two days in a row if you can help it. I did that only the first week, the rest of the weeks I did Mon, Wed and Sat., and now I do three miles each of those days every weeks.

I run on an indoor track, elevations were not an issue for me. Had they been, I would have done my best to avoid them. The first four weeks are hard enough to get through without adding extra effort. The elevations will still be there after the program is over.

I had two main motivators to finishing, and continuing after the program: I do a weekly boot camp at my gym where running is part of the class. The first class I took I couldn't do the runs, they were much too hard for me. The rest of the participants were regulars, and most of them are regular runners. I wanted to be able to keep up with them. 

My second motivator was a present to myself: I bought an Apple Watch. I use that to track my runs, and it does an excellent job. I set the fitness app to 3 miles, and it tracks time, pace and distance. The watch is a constant reminder that I need to get out and do those three miles three times a week.

Don't skip stretching. An injury is the best way to demotivate yourself. If you have access to a foam roller, use that too. I foam roll most days, and it helps a lot to keep knots from forming.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
24 REPLIES 24

Just listen to your body. If you dont feel like you can increase when it want you to dont. If you feel you can increase sooner than do.

Im sure you will do fine.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

I finished the couch-to-5k a couple of weeks ago. I found that listening to audiobooks was better for me than listening to music. I was listening to the book rather than constantly thinking about how much I wanted to stop running and walk instead.

As for not overworking, I think the best thing is to not do two days in a row if you can help it. I did that only the first week, the rest of the weeks I did Mon, Wed and Sat., and now I do three miles each of those days every weeks.

I run on an indoor track, elevations were not an issue for me. Had they been, I would have done my best to avoid them. The first four weeks are hard enough to get through without adding extra effort. The elevations will still be there after the program is over.

I had two main motivators to finishing, and continuing after the program: I do a weekly boot camp at my gym where running is part of the class. The first class I took I couldn't do the runs, they were much too hard for me. The rest of the participants were regulars, and most of them are regular runners. I wanted to be able to keep up with them. 

My second motivator was a present to myself: I bought an Apple Watch. I use that to track my runs, and it does an excellent job. I set the fitness app to 3 miles, and it tracks time, pace and distance. The watch is a constant reminder that I need to get out and do those three miles three times a week.

Don't skip stretching. An injury is the best way to demotivate yourself. If you have access to a foam roller, use that too. I foam roll most days, and it helps a lot to keep knots from forming.

Best Answer
I'm on week 6 of Zombies, Run 5k training. I like it better than tradition c25k because it's got a silly story line and the workouts are very manageable. The story plays over your own music and even has encouragement built in. In 6 weeks I went from barely walking to today's 51 min workout that included jogging for 10 min, and 3x7 minutes. I mostly run indoors on a track because there are too many mosquitos outside. But I've done it outside on paved trails mostly, very few hills it's pretty flat here. Get the best shoes you can afford and get them fitted by someone who knows how. My running store films you on the treadmill then measures the angles of your stride. Very high tech, but good footwear is key to preventing injuries.
Best Answer

I like to listen to books when I'm walking/jogging/running. Although I just got back on the C25K after a car accident and I'm gonna be on the walking part for a while. I think the books make you stay out longer because you want to know what happens next!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done a C25k and now am a long distance runner.  I used running to go from obeese to fit like I am now here is what I learned along the way;

1. Get fitted for shoes!  This is EXTREEMLY important.  You will prevent injuries, you will have more enjoyable runs.
  2. Ditch the headphones.  I used to always listen to music/audiobooks when starting out.  Now I listen to nothing.  It takes some getting used to but it really is so much better.  Music is a distraction from the run, embrace the run.
  3. Don't be afraid of rest days.
  4. On that note don't be afraid of back to back days either.
  5. Hills are your friend - that friend you hate but don't know why you love at the same time.
  6. Track your miles.
  7. Embrace the suck - run outside in rain, wind, cold, snow, even if it's a slow trot.  It's amazing to run into someone else running when its 38F and rainy. 
  8. learn the difference between soreness and pain from injury.
  9. Mostly of all, enjoy it.  I love running.  It is my meditation.  I know it's not like this for everyone.

Best Answer

@jwis86 wrote:
Ditch the headphones.  I used to always listen to music/audiobooks when starting out.  Now I listen to nothing.  It takes some getting used to but it really is so much better.  Music is a distraction from the run, embrace the run.

Though I do often enjoy running with music (just one earbud unless I'm stuck on a treadmill), there is another good reason to ditch the headphones - races.

If you plan on running any races at all, even just a 5K, many of them do not allow headphones of any kind on the route.  And getting used to running without the automatic pacing of music does take some getting used to.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes
30 minutes every day. Week 1 walk 28 run 2. Walk the whole time one day. Increase 1 or at most 2 minutes of running every week until you get to 30 minutes. Will take about three months. Resist the urge to increase quicker. You will feel like you are hardly doing anything which is the idea. This program will avoid injury and keep you wanting more. Don't do any sprinting. I've been running since 1970. Never been injured.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Any thoughts on doing an aerobic class the day after or before your run day?  I want to do at least one per week but that means there will be one day where I don't rest in between a higher aerobic activity (zuumba or c25k run).

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't used the app but have ran for years.

1. Get fitted for proper shoes - this the easiest thing you can do to keep from being injured.  Go to a real running store (not big box) and have them watch you run. I've never gotten out of there without spending about 30 minutes and trying on 10 pairs of shoes. 
  2. No headphones!  I know scary but the biggest thing you can listen to is your body and this includes your breathing.  In C25K, you should be able to speak short sentences.  If you can't, you slow down
  3. Elevation - lean up a hill, DO NOT lean back when descending.
  4. Do some light walking afterwards to loosen stuff up
  5. Re: sidewalks/road running - sidewalks, you watch for cracks.  Roads, run against traffic, stick to the shoulder and wear clothes to be seen. If you are running near night or at night or when it is overcast, get yourself some lights.
Best Answer

@GettingFitGal wrote:

Any thoughts on doing an aerobic class the day after or before your run day?  I want to do at least one per week but that means there will be one day where I don't rest in between a higher aerobic activity (zuumba or c25k run).

I wouldn't.  I have found I ran better if I took a couple of days off before a race, so I just went with every other day when I was running during the week too.  Healing after you have stressed your body is really important and what makes for improvements over the long run.  More is not always better.

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks - that is helpful - a bummer tho cuz I want to do this 5k training but there are some fun classes at the ymca that I want to try ever so often.  Thanks for the advice tho.  All the best in your fit goals!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

ps - by run day - I mean training day (not race day) - i am at the very beginning of doing the c25k plan - but I guess that wouldn't change your advice huh?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GettingFitGal wrote:

ps - by run day - I mean training day (not race day) - i am at the very beginning of doing the c25k plan - but I guess that wouldn't change your advice huh?

That is my feeling and what works best for me, but I'm sure there will be some that agree and some that disagree.  I just see too many people burning out becasue they're doing cardo every single day and they don't leave enough time to rest like they need.

Once a week?  Probably won't hurt much, but it won't help.  So it all depends on what your goal is.  If the class makes you happy and you're willing to lose a very small amount of potential gains as far as running, then go for it.  If you want to be the very fastest runner and do as well as you can, then I would pass on the class the day before and after.

FitBit One
Best Answer
0 Votes

got ya. thanks. appreciate your thoughts

Best Answer
0 Votes

I loved C25K. I reccommend having a buddy do it with you too. A friend and I did it religiously almost and even though we were on different paces and didn't always use it together, we almost completed the program.

I would do each day, and if I wasn't ready for the next days challenge I would go back to the day previous on the app. Stay at your own pace if needed, because sometimes with the repetition of days you realize you can go faster. When it got to the 10min running intervals I would stick with that for a week and just repeat the day.

I also would run at least 4-5 days a week. Sometimes 6 if I was really motivated. I just loved running.

Invest in some good shoes too. I love my brooks, they were my favorite. They were a great lightweight shoe. I work in a sporting goods store and I have seen a lot of people who actively run buy either those or asics. You want something lightweight, but with good support. Bend the shoe to make sure the bottom is thick enough for your liking.

Last summer I was running the 25minutes straight (week 7 or whatever?). I would either try to run right when I wake up, or late at night. If you go at night make sure you have all the reflective gear you need.

I fell off it though. It got colder and colder and then I sprained my ankle. Hoping that after this sprain is heals up I can start again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I have had my fit bit for just over a year did not know about fit bit community. My story so far here goes.

In 2015 on holiday I had trouble walking my hips hurt ended up at docs as I thought I was over weight and it would help my hips to lose some weight but I needed a bit of help, my practice nurse referred me to sports centre I got a fit bit now 2 stones lighter I have taken up jogging last jogged 30 years ago, I joined Park Runs & have entered race for life 5km, problem is no matter what I have tried I suffer with extremely painful calves which makes me jog/walk I have seen a physio who has given me exercises apparantly its my left side which is the problem might be spine related or oxygen not getting into my blood stream resulting in cramps, my doctor has referred me to have my blood flow checked then to see a musclkelokletal person.  Does anyone out there have any similiar problem I want to remain fit & active and not give up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gymbuddyrothwel,

Before I answer, I'll let you know I don't believe in doctors. Before going off for expensive tests, I would ask "What will the treatment be if you find something wrong?" The medical profession is intent on sucking all the money out of their patients.

I'd start by reading:

The Run-Walk-Run MethodJul 8, 2013
by Jeff Galloway

Then withdraw from that 5k. You aren't ready yet.

I'd recommend starting with walking only until you can walk at least three miles. Increase distance slowly. Then start walking 55 seconds and running 5 seconds for part of the time.

Think of this as a long term process that can take several years. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have been going to gym for over eighteen months using rowing machine, treadmill, abs I use to do 6 days a week but when I started training for 5km cut it down to 4 days I manage 5km on treadmill slow jog no cramps but out on the road get cramps forgot to mention I am a young & fit 67 years old girl (ha ha )
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have been going to gym for over 18 months using rowing machine, abs & treadmill 6 days a week but cutting it down to 4 days when I started training for 5km. I can do 5km on treadmill slow jog no problem calves dont hurt but out road running & park runs they are agony, I class myself as a fit young 67 year old girl (ha ha) I am determined to beat it breathing is no problem.
Best Answer
0 Votes