Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couch to 5k...Suggestions? Advice?

ANSWERED

I'm planning on starting the Couch to 5k app. I've tried a few times before; both during the school year when my work and hours were getting in the way of me working out. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to how to keep motivated using the app; how to not over work yourself; tips for running on the roads or sidewalks; tips for running where the elevation increases...anything along those lines will be most helpful, and much appreciated. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
24 REPLIES 24

@gymbuddyrothwel,

@gymbuddyrothwel wrote:
I have been going to gym for over 18 months using rowing machine, abs & treadmill 6 days a week but cutting it down to 4 days when I started training for 5km. I can do 5km on treadmill slow jog no problem calves dont hurt but out road running & park runs they are agony, I class myself as a fit young 67 year old girl (ha ha) I am determined to beat it breathing is no problem.

Calf cramps are typically caused by being new to hills or too fast of a  pace on hills. MANY injuries can be prevented by using Jim Galloway's "Run-Walk" method. Say 10 seconds run and 30 seconds to walk as a start. You can use a HIIT timer to signal the change from run to walk.

highly recommend reading Jim Galloway's book. It's even for us young people. (I'm almost 64. I think Jim is 70.)

Best Answer
Well I was given some advice from Gurshon which I have looked into which is 10 secs run 30 secs walk I went out today to train for my 5km & tried this method which I kept forgetting how many seconds I had counted so went back to an old method I tried when I first started training it must be 8 weeks ago jog a lampost walk 2 lamposts I manged 1.5km doing this but walked the 1.5km back, my calves are not improving when will this pain ease I'm getting a bit disheartened.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@GettingFitGal wrote:

Thanks - that is helpful - a bummer tho cuz I want to do this 5k training but there are some fun classes at the ymca that I want to try ever so often.  Thanks for the advice tho.  All the best in your fit goals!!!

If it sounds like fun and you can handle the class and running, then do it.  If it's too much for you then back off.  The easiest way to stay motivated is to ensure you do things that are fun.

I cardio almost every day (run/basketball) of the week (at least 6 days), cross fit 4 (2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off), and try to squeeze in a session or two of weight training.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gymbuddyrothwel wrote:
Well I was given some advice from Gurshon which I have looked into which is 10 secs run 30 secs walk I went out today to train for my 5km & tried this method which I kept forgetting how many seconds I had counted so went back to an old method I tried when I first started training it must be 8 weeks ago jog a lampost walk 2 lamposts I manged 1.5km doing this but walked the 1.5km back, my calves are not improving when will this pain ease I'm getting a bit disheartened.

@gymbuddyrothwel

Good job trying the method. Lampposts are usually a bit too far apart for ten seconds. Ten seconds is only about 20 steps, which would be the distance between two mailboxes on a city street. A step for this purpose is each time a foot hits the ground. 

At first, just go out for five minutes and see what happens. If you get cramps, reduce the time again. If you don't get cramps, try six minutes the next time. The key to success is finding a distance where you don't get cramps and work up slowly from there. This could be only one rep of ten seconds running, and there is nothing wrong with that. After you can do one rep without cramps, try two reps. Progress will seem slow, but over a year, it will be quite dramatic.

It's important to teach your subconscious that running is not painful by staying below your pain threshold on every run. Then it will give you positive motivation to go run.

I recommend withdrawing from the 5k unless you plan on walking the whole thing and are already capable of walking the distance without pain.

One thing Jeff Galloway often states is "You are the captain of your own ship." My suggestions are only guides for what I would do in your situation. In the end, you will need to make your own decisions as you are the only one who knows how your body is reacting. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thankyou Gershon I really appreciate your advice, I have no problem walking 5km so if I have to do that I will, I think I will go back to square one after race for life .
Best Answer