Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counting steps for Cycling!

ANSWERED

So I have had my Fitbit for 6+ months. As I have researched issues, I have noticed that many people have struggles with not being able to count steps while cycling, I to get frustrated with this. Being a triathlete and competitive, want all my steps to count. What I don't understand is how after a few years of Fitbit knowing this is an issue, why have they not come up with a solution? It is more motivating when all your activities count as steps so when you are competing against friends on the Fitbit app that you feel you have a chance. I think Fitbit needs to expand their horizon to not only motivating customers to walk and run but all sports. Swimming and biking are my 2 favorites. 

Best Answer
243 REPLIES 243
Not if I put my Fitbit on my shoe. If on the wrist, I essentially get no steps.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you know if it is possible now to not count steps while bicycling? Just joined yesterday and ride my bike everyday. Today it counted a random number of steps during my ride. Would like it not to count any steps while cycling and instead log the ride as an exercise.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Can you specify cycling as the activity? Maybe if you classify it, it will
not count the steps. Don’t know.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I do not know the answers to these questions perhaps there are some experts out there

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I really truly wish my cycling would not count my steps. The Blaze did not
do that!!! The Versa does. It is totally ridiculous that Fitbit cannot do
something about it.

--
Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree @VeganBiker2  did you add your vote to the request?

One problem is that many do want steps counted while biking. Some want every pedal stroke, while others want a true conversion based on calories burnt.

No matter which decision Fitbit goes with, their will be disappointed people.

Best Answer
Anyone who wants walking steps counted while biking are......well they should not even have a Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes
What a judgmental comment. I track my activity levels and for 3 years was used to a calibrated step count for a daily bike ride.  I averaged 24,000 steps a day at the time of which 3,000 were from the bike ride.  Cycling counts to me.  Now it doesnt because I got a new Fitbit and it doesnt count steps while cycling and because the roads are paved differently. I dont mind someone arguing merits of any and al options but attacking individuals is low class and shows ignorance.  
Best Answer
Dave369: Sorry to sound judgmental. I just cannot understand anyone who
would support the idea of counting steps while cycling. Would they also
support count laps in the pool, while cyling?

Walking is great. Cycling is great and Swimming is great. These are three
separate ways to exercise. It is illogical to think that when cycling, your
walking---or maybe swimming.

My Fitbit *Blaze* did not count double. The *Versa *does count double. You
said your new Fitbit does not count double---What model do you have?

Patrick
Best Answer
0 Votes

The steps counted while on a bike will come from the bumps in the road.

You may want to look at this requires

Convert Bike Distance (or Spinning) into Steps

Best Answer
Hey Rich_Laue, Yes I have heard that the bumps in the road will cause the
Fitbit to count steps while cycling. However, I use to have the Fitbit
Blaze and it did not count steps on a bumpy road.
I am wondering what changed?

--
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I know the bumps in the road contribute to some of the step count but to someone who knows their activity level, bumps in the road every day equal a certain amount of activity.  It can be meaningful data to them.  Otherwise, I get no record of the ride.  If I log the ride, I get active minutes for the duration of the ride even if I am coasting with no steps.  To me steps equal activity and when bumps are some of the steps, I know I am "earning" those bumps by peddling. For my old neighborhood that sidewalks, that meant about 3,200 steps for 10 miles daily. Now I ride 10 miles and get no steps.  Because I now have a Charge 2 instead of Charge HR and my new neighborhood is all road not sidewalks.  So yes to some of us, we want that feedback in the form of steps while cycling as we understand what it is conveying. 
Best Answer
0 Votes
I can. Because there are reasons other than the love of fitness that people
wear these devices. I for one get a discount on my insurance for steps and
only steps. ALL on step activities, no matter how healthful, just don't
count. I really don't care about the data gathering and tracking beyond a
reduction in my rates (although the sleep tracking is interesting) so I
like that these activities are in part given some step credit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Dave369

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everybody, welcome and thank you for visiting the Fitbit Community. Sorry for the delayed response.

@mom1 @Mhm240 @mom1 @VeganBiker2 @Dave369 @xjonx We appreciate you letting us know that some of you would like to have an option to get steps while cycling. Currently, there are no plans to convert cycling into steps. If any change is made, it should be communicated on the Suggestion shared by @Rich_Laue or on this other one Cycling Stats.

If your Fitbit device counts steps and you don't want it, you can perform a restart by following these steps.

Hope this helps. If you have any question, please let us know.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer

The missing link here is the challenges.  The workweek hustle is something I do with my team every week.  We only compete on Steps.  Please have FitBit add different kinds of challenges such as active minutes so that we can compete with our cross training activities, too!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I also use the work week hustle every week! I would love to see this modified so we can vary the activity’s.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@1director  this thread is aa discussion about counting or not counting steps while cycling.

If your interested in a modified Challange you might want to add your vote to this feature request so.

Challenges not Based on Steps, eg. Sports, Stairs,...

Best Answer
I have never asked for Cycling. Some days there are 3 or 4 asked for
cycling in and it is NOT ME.

I only wanted a Fit Bit and I can only steps I like the things on the
Fit-bit but I only want the steps to see for me.
I am 75 years old and I have APHASIA after a Concussion. I only wanted
to have a Fit-Bit 2 and I could not speak clearly.
I guess I will have not using the fit bit. I have been I was happy I
just start to get a number of STEPS.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Could one simply attach it to the ankle with use of a band extension?  I’m going to give that a try.

Best Answer
0 Votes