Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross trainer heart rate and steps

Tonight i was at the gym, and decided to give the cross trainer a try.

Myfitbit is registering the cross trainer as steps, and telling me my heart rate is in peak zone... but im not sweating like i would on the treadmill at peak zone? 

Im unsure its accurate if im not sweating like i would on the treadmill? Are the steps counted for the cross trainer accurate for calorie counting?

Last thing i want is gaining weight by eating extra calories back i havent burnt properly...

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

It really depends. For me it is never accurate but it is possible you hit the peak. Mind that Fitbit recognizes only three HR zones so the peak is set quite low ( at least for me 😄 ). If you are in doubt get a chest strap. Most of cardio machines find a connection to the chest strap automatically and they show your HR on the display of the machine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Nicoledeex wrote:

Are the steps counted for the cross trainer accurate for calorie counting?

Energy expenditure ("calories burned") as estimated by your Fitbit (stress on estimated) isn’t step count times some factor, it’s more complex than that. There’s an algorithm that involves your heart rate, impacts and their strength, moves of your arms etc. And no, there’s no sweat sensor on your Fitbit, so whether any given activity causes you to sweat a lot or not won’t be taken into consideration.

It’s obvious detected impacts are not the same when running on a treadmill (you keep hitting the surface with your full weight of your body on each foot) vs. doing cross trainer (both of your feet are in constant contact with the machine). Likewise, the moves of your arms are not the same.

Last thing i want is gaining weight by eating extra calories back i havent burnt properly...

Well, hopefully you’re not basing all your eating on a single number obtained from Fitbit (calories it said you burned during a 30 minute activity).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

for me on the cross trainer, I get two "steps" counted as one. My HR is in peak for most of the activity and I am usually sweating as if I was running on the treadmill. However, running on the treadmill my HR is way higher. if your fitbit estimates your HR more or less accurately through out all activities, it would stand to reason that it would on this as well. As far as eating the calories, if you are in weight loss, you should be eating to whatever you designated as your per day caloric intake. If you are in maintenance, it would be the same just a higher number. For me, I couldn't say I burned 500 calories running 6 miles, time for ice cream.. I look at the day in its entirety. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes