Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desk sitting

I sit all day at a desk, if I leave for lunch someone is always looking for me.  What can I do inside an office for exercise.  Sometimes literally hours pass before I get up.

Best Answer
158 REPLIES 158

I set a reminder on my computer to get up every hour and move around.  Our office is small, so I march in place when I file or printing, pace my office when I'm on a call, and if I'm lucky enough to get the office to myself at lunch, I jog around my office.  I also just purchased one of those exercise peddlers that fit under a desk so I can at least cycle on the days I'm too busy to get away from my desk. 

Best Answer

I am the same... I work as a programmer and so I am deskbound for much of the day. Which is why, after I get home at night, I use either xbox fitness (Which, by the way, if you have an Xbox One is an excellent exercise app) or go to the apartment complex's gym and do a workout.

But during the day get up and walk around. Go get a drink of water or something... it breaks up the monotony of the day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My office is rather large, so I get up a couple of times a day to walk to the other end (which is a little over a mile).  I also take the longer routes when going to and from certain places like, the restroom or break room.  I also take the stairs as much as possible.  I find these to not only help me reach my daily goals but prevents me from sitting at my desk for hours at a time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a program called RSI Guard installed on my computer at work. It reminds me to stretch and gives me stretches to do - and locks my computer while I'm doing them. It's really helped me.

Best Answer
I love that idea!

Do you think it prevents work flow how long is the segment locked

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

We recently got stand up desks at work - I now do a lot of walking in place as I work  🙂  It's the best thing ever!

Best Answer

I use to work in an office and sit all day, now I have found exercises that I can do inside when it's raining. There is one that you put your back against the wall and lower yourself until your knees are almost horizontal to the floor, hold for as many seconds as possible, start at 15 then progress to 30 and up. The next are push ups that are not done on the floor, rest your hands against the edge of your desk and lower yourself until your chest almost touches the desk and slowly raise yourself up. If you are in a private office try doing planks, hold them for 30 seconds and go up as you get stronger. You can do lunges doing one leg at a time and alternating legs, do 10 on each leg, squats are good to strengthen your legs. I have small dumbbells and I do arm exercises when watching TV. There are many things you can do in a confined area.

Best Answer

I agree that your ability to walk/stretch completely depends on your work culture. Since I know it's difficult for me to take frequent breaks throughout the work day, I primarily get my steps in before and after. I wake up at 4:30 am to do a 1 hour work out, and then jog in the evening an hour before going to bed. Now, I'm able to do this because I have no kids and my job as an admin asst. isn't overly stressful. But I think you can set your own goals of what to hit. 10,000 a day may be too much, but 4 or 5,000 might be something easier to aim for.

Best of luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

This may sound crazy...but sometimes I go into the bathroom and do some walking in place...stretching, etc... now in fairness we have a staff bathroom that is totally private..but it does allow me to get at least a little movement.  Also, whenever I have to go to the copier...I make sure I take multiple trips.  If I have to make 5 different copies, I just take one...make the copies, and then go back to my desk to get the next one for copy...I also try to walk around the building whenever I have to take the mail out, or have to go into a back room.  Of course our offices are not HUGE, but big enough that I do have to move!  It's a challenge for sure trying to get the steps in on a normal "work" day.  Last night when I was folding clothes, (a working girls job is never done) I would fold a towel, then go put it away, then go back, fold another and then go put it away.  WHEW! 

Best Answer

I'm in a similar situation.  I sit at a desk most of the day, so i generally offer to take the mail and post it.  Walking there and back.  Its only a 4 minute walk, but better than nothing. 

A lot of good ideas out there, maybe i'll start walking to the carpark and back every hour?  As long as we keep moving, right?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I love reading all the creative ways Fitbit users sneak activity into their day. Diliz, I've also have exercised in the bathroom at my old job (where there was a private staff bathroom). I've jogged in place, done squats, and marched in place mainly. Slightly on this topic, I just posted on my blog about ways I increase my activity. Naturally I would sit all day unless exercising. It relates mainly to what we can do outside of work, as only one or two ideas may apply to the workday: slysamgettingfit.blogspot.com/2014/08/increaseneatactivity.html

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer
I cyber surf and jog in place !!
Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

Complusive coffee breaks.

At a recent job we made it a point to walk past the nearest coffee shop to get a bit more time/distance in our coffee breaks. Tea works as well ; )

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! I am looking for good advice too. I have some suggestions as well. As an instructor I do work daily with chair exercise routines. There are many youtube vidoes and some dvds out there. while in a seated position we run, walk and step in place; seated crunches/situps and jumping jacks, many different arm movements as well. I do two sets of 30 minute routines and we are starting to see the benefits.  I work with older persons with memory issues and staying active is very important.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Our office got standing desks last year and I love mine.  I work four 10-hr days/wk at a desk.  I now stand between 7-1/2 to 8-1/4 hrs/day.  I'm able to jog in place during that time.
I spend both my morning and afternoon breaks walking four brisk loops around the parking lot, and another 27-30 minutes brisk walking during my lunch break.  I sit for about 20 minutes prior to the mid-day walk, and for about 40 minutes afterwards when I eat lunch at my desk.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Amen to that!!! I wake up an extra hour early, so that I can make Breakfast at my leisure & enjoy a healthy meal, & then I go to the gym.  Heres my progress.. I can average at minimum 11G's as long as I get up early enough.  Water is in a seperate room, as well as the coffee... so atleast one or two times an hour I am getting up to walk to get coffee.  & then I hit the gym again in the afternoon.  the Gym Sandwich is what really makes a Desk Job "Liveable" 🙂 Image-1.png

Best Answer

You are doing great, @Scwhinn_Guy, and it is great to see your dedication to staying fit! Amazing, isn't it, how we can get in a routine and it gets easier and easier every day?  Keep up the great work!

Best Answer

Routine is everything.  Its Commitment as well.  I gained all these skills back in the Service, & I will refuse to allow myself to fall back down

Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-Larry I think that you would agree that a routine is one of the real sources of stability in a day.  I appreciate the support... As you know anything that helps inforce a routine is often welcome & much appreciated, Sir.

Respectfully,

Ty

Best Answer
0 Votes