Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you get more steps running rather than walking the same distance?

ANSWERED

Please help with anything you know about my topic.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

and depending on your goals, you may want the higher calorie burn from running than walking in less time. Just make sure you rest between run days- no sense wearing out your feet!

Elena | Pennsylvania

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

I would assume you would not. It may actually be the opposite. If you are going the same distance, you would take fewer strides running than you would walking. Which in turn means more steps when walking.

However, if your tracker has GPS, it may just work off of the total distance traveled rather than strides. I am not sure about that though.

Best Answer

The number of steps for the same distance would depend on your stride length. I've done some Googling and I can't find a definitive answer on what the difference in length is between a running stride and a walking stride. I was say the best answer is to measure it for yourself. Choose a known distance, like a local track, and count your steps as you walk the distance and as you run it.

Best Answer

Thats true. I am going to try this. Running will get you more distance in less time but i feel i can get more in if i just do a fast walk as opposed to running but not sure if i am losing as much calories as if i was running.

Best Answer

I run 5 kms 3 times a week & walk the same route on other days - my running days are approximately 300 less steps than my walking days, so my running stride is longer than my walking stride; therefore the lesser steps.

Best Answer

300 steps is not much as compared to the number of steps involved in 5 kilometers. I would say that means your stride length running and walking is pretty much the same.

Best Answer

I did test it this morning on my street. I actually had less steps in running as opposed to a fast walk. I would think its the opposite but the benefit is you get more steps all together in an hour because you can get more distance when you run.

Best Answer
0 Votes

and depending on your goals, you may want the higher calorie burn from running than walking in less time. Just make sure you rest between run days- no sense wearing out your feet!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

@emili wrote:

Many of us find we burn fewer calories per mile running. I burn about 170 walking and 130 running. The difference is not the BMR calories as I don't run that fast for it to make a difference.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just did the math - I do about 1500 steps per mile when I run. When I walk I do 1945 per mile. But I run twice as fast, so more steps per hour. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's interesting. Because I burn more. I would think just based on heart rate alone there would be a higher burn. But, to your point it's speed. I run. Not jog. So for me, the calorie burn is greater. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

@emili wrote:

That's interesting. Because I burn more. I would think just based on heart rate alone there would be a higher burn. But, to your point it's speed. I run. Not jog. So for me, the calorie burn is greater. 

@my heart rate is 10-15 bpm lower while running than it is while walking. It feels easier to run, too. @shipo found a similar pattern.

Best Answer

I work in a hospital where we do cardiac stress testing.  Never seen anyone whose heart rate went down once the treadmill got to running speeds. 

I can see how possibly calories per mile could be lower just based on less steps per mile.

But at higher intensity, calories burned per unit of time would be higher.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hands down... No way! Walking yields more steps than running over the same distance because walking stride length is shorter than running stride length. Only an odd running style could return more steps. 

Best Answer