Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does CrossFit Work for Weight Loss

About 7 months ago I began a journey to lose 150 lbs. I have lost 105 so far and all of it was by doing nothing but Cardio (Running, Hiking and Walking).  I went on a Plant Based Diet and feel great.  However, I'm starting to feel like I need to do some endurance training or some other workout to gain muscle as I'm losing the other 50lbs of fat.  Is Crossfit the best to do or is there something else someone would recommend.  I have a year to get ready for the Honolulu Marathon (life dream) and want to know what is the best way to do it. HELP? 

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I can tell you from experience that crossfit will build up quite a bit of endurance and build some muscle if you are starting out with little weight lifting experience.  You do need to ensure you find the right class with helpful instructors as it can be a tough session and without the proper form with the exercises can easily lead to injury.  

If you are looking just to build muscle, I would look into the 5x5 program and just spend the time in the weight room.

Best Answer

Hi @eshorn73,

Congrats on the weight loss. Losing fat nearly always means losing some muscle, so bringing some strength training into your workouts sounds like a great idea.

Crossfit works very well for weight loss, and for those who enjoy working out in a group environment. 

I also agree with @Mukluk4 that a strength program like 5x5 could work very well, especially for the more self-motivated person. (Usually a gym membership is a bit cheaper than at a Crossfit box).

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think you're probably correct in that you should now work on building muscle (which you can do while losing fat) in preparation for your marathon.  And personally, I like exercise classes, especially when you're just getting started with something new like weight training, so that you have an instructor there to emphasize proper form and prevent injury.

That being said, I don't think that some (can't speak for all) Crossfit gyms do a great job of emphasizing form over weight.  But if that's what's available in your area, I would encourage trying it out.  Depending on where you live (I live in Los Angeles, so I have many options), there could be many different brands and types of workouts available.  HIIT workouts like Orange Theory or Barry's Bootcamp offer intervals of cardio and strength which are effective in weight loss and muscle gain.  Another thing to look into, especially since you are training for a marathon, is to hire a personal trainer who understands your goals and really caters your workouts to reach them.  You could find a personal trainer at a gym, or through Yelp reviews, friend referrals, etc.

Good luck!

Best Answer

I did the exact same thing you did. I did cardio first to burn through fat and then realized I didn't want to look willowy and added strength. I started doing boxing boot camp- real boxing. It actually is a lot more difficult to hit a person you aren't mad at than it would seem. After about six months I had the same instructor help me with weight training. When I saw results, I waved good bye and took all he taught me to a less expensive gym and carried on, on my own.

There really is no wrong way to do it, its based on what you like, what will keep you engaged and time, effort and money you are willing to dedicate to it. Pay attention to form to avoid injury and remember to enjoy it. Huge congrats on how far you have come and cheers to continued success.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow! Good for you and all your dedication and hard work! If you do choose CrossFit be careful yo stayed balanced as overdoing can lead to injury. 

Best Answer
0 Votes