Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does FitBit not understand motivation or are they just lazy?

I used to like the FitBit badges, but now they seem almost pointless. When I got to 5770 I felt pretty good, but the next badge was at 7900. That's 2130 miles. I did get motivated in a way, I started trying to do 12-13 miles a day, but  I am older and that blew out my knee. I am finally back to walking longer distances (still not running again) and did make 7900 miles. The next badge is 12,430. That is 4530 miles away! I think I have proven human being can't just do more and more. At best I can do 7 miles/day right now. That is 647 days with no rest days. So probably closer to two years. At the recommended 10,000 steps it's two and a half years. I doubt my FitBit will last that long! I'd be much more motivated to get a little pat on the back for making it another 3-6 months than expecting goals that become more and more unreachable. If I make 12430 is the next badge going to double the distance I need to go again, i.e., 21000 miles or 4 years?

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Why depend on FB?  You can always set your own goals to reach.

Best Answer

If FitBit is going to provide something, it would be nice to provide something useful. How hard can it be to come up with mileage goals that are roughly equally spaced in distance?

I am motivated to try Garmin. They have a tracker that uses watch batteries. If I am setting my own goals, no need to worry about losing the FitBit dashboard.

Best Answer

Whatever works for you.  Ephemeral badges don't really do much for me.  

You could always design your own and load them up on your social media profile.

Best Answer

I agree with you @jt_stl . I think they think that after the early badges, we should all be self-motivating. That's why the badges get so far apart, and, in fact, disappear all together after a while. There is no distance badge I can get after 5 years of using Fitbit. I think more badges would be great. Yes, there are other motivations (health and well being and all that) but would it hurt to have a few more external motivators? 

Best Answer

I'm curious at what distance do they stop giving badges?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jt_stl wrote:

Earth Diameter, 7900 miles.

You may want to look into challenges, which provide motivation through competition.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

The last distance badge is 12,430 lifetime miles - Pole to Pole. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am going to sound like a brat, but I don't believe every thing we do deserves a trophy. I think in the beginning they are used to motivate someone into a habit. after that, it is up to you to do it because you want to, because you feel good doing it and because it is a habit- not because a trophy will be given. It is the equivalent of the no one loses when kids compete. I understand the motivation behind it, but I don't think it teaches kids to deal with disappointment or try harder for achievement. To me this is kind of like that. If you want to push yourself to keep getting the badges, do it because it feels good and for sure not at the expense of your knees. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Forget the badges. They're nice, but you shouldn't use them for motivation.

I have my own motivation. I do walking videos five mornings a week, and I hope to get to 4,000 steps before I walk out the door around 7:00 a.m.. I change buses around 7:30 and hope to be at 5,000 steps by then. I hope to be at 7,000 steps by noon. Ideally I've hit my 10,000 goal by 6:00 p.m., but not always. I hope to have burned 1,000 calories by noon.

Make up your own goals and milestones and consider Fitbit badges just a little something extra.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Everyone's motivated by different things. Yes, I certainly have my own goals and milestones, but it is nice to have an external recognition once in a while. There's a reason badges exist, and it shouldn't be only for beginners. 

Best Answer

Perhaps despite having multiple motivating factors, it is fun and contributes to motivation to have those small and fun things to work toward.  So glad some do not feel the need of them.  However, it would be a boring world if we were all the same.  Some do like having those small targets as additional things to work toward.  It does not make accomplishments lesser no matter the motivators.  So long as it harms no one, to each their own.

Best Answer

@jt_stl   The last distance badge is the Pole to Pole to pole 12,430 miles.  I'm past the Earth badge so when I get the Pole to Pole it will be 3 years.. between badges..Sometime next year because I have slowed down..

Not an incentive for us older users..

This link has all of the badges from the Fitbit blog...

@jt_stl wrote:

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm 50... don't think I am one of the younger users.  I enjoy the landmark goals as a fun addition to the whole experience. 

Best Answer