Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Running get Substantially Faster with Weight Loss?

So I was wondering if running paces drastically increase when you lose weight. Of course, since I am running to lose weight as my main source of exercise, I will just become a better and faster runner the more that I run regardless of the loss of weight. But I'm curious if I go from my 6'0, 200 lbs down to my ideal 6'0, 155-160 lbs if I'll just notice it become a lot easier and will be able to go substantially faster. Or will I just have to find a way to really train my body to run faster in shorter sections, like a 1/2 mile at a fast pace and then up it to a mile, etc.

Based on my knowledge of physics I'm using 125% of the energy required to really move myself than I would at my ideal weight. But I don't know if that translates to an 80% faster pace just naturally or not really.

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

@BlackFlame23

I'll answer your question with a question. 🙂

Do you run faster or slower if you're carrying a 40-pound suitcase?

Drop the suitcase and I'm sure you'll see your times improve. 🙂

I'm not a runner, but I know that after losing over 25 pounds I have to move faster to get active minutes. When I started out I could get active minutes walking to the mailbox. Almost that easy, anyway.

SebringDon | Florida USA | Fitbit's Food Plan Demystified

Charge HR, Flex | Windows 10 | Android | iPad

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Absolutely, yes. I was very lean while I was running before I suffered an injury. When I tried to start running after recovering, I noticed that I was WAAAY slower. Partially because of deconditioning, and also because I'd packed on 10+ lbs. Now that I've lost the weight again, running is so much easier.

Best Answer

Yes, everything gets easier when you are lighter, especially if you are able to preserve (or even gain) muscle mass. Even 10 kg (22 lbs) makes a big difference. That’s more or less what I lost (from 75 to 65 kg). Now that I do weighted chin-ups, I can see what it would be like to lift my previous, heavier self. I also bought a 10 kg weighted vest, to make walking more challenging (and burn more calories). Being overweight is like performing a workout all the time, by simply carrying the extra weight around.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

What do you consider drastic?

Weight loss will speed you up, but weight training and/or specific training in your legs (such as vertical jump training) will provide more bang for your buck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have lost about 50# and have taken my pace from a dreadfully slow pace of about 14:00 per mile for 5k to 9:40 per mile for 5k. To start I could only do one 5k run a week now I run four days a week with 5k as the shortest run of the week.

How much improvement is from weight loss and how much is from training, I couldn't tell you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Most of that will come from training.

Endurance training comes in two forms, long distance/sustained activity and short repeatable bursts.

Basketball players and American Football players train for short bursts and in most cases are not great 5K runners.

Soccer/Football players train for sustained activity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

everything is easier with less weight, so yes, you will run faster if you choose to. I do. However, straight running causes muscle breakdown. I don't know if you considered doing some form of strength training, but you may want to. It will not slow you down and will actually improve your performance and endurance.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

"So I was wondering if running paces drastically increase when you lose weight. Of course, since I am running to lose weight"

In my experience yes, my increased 5k running speed was almost directly proportional to my weight loss

I started at 38 minutes and finished at 25 minutes.

If memory serves, 33-25 was a function of weight.

Charge HR 2
208lbs 01/01/18 - 197.8lbs 24/01/18 - 140lbs 31/12/18
Best Answer
0 Votes