Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does being sick cause a big increase in heart rate? 🤢🤢🤢

Hi all 😷🤢

Currently dying of some kind of flu/cold virus. Suffering from a temperature and feeling very tired. Sure you all know what I mean- runny nose, chest cough, no appetite and feeling weak ect.

Basically just wondered- my heart rate has jumped up lots. Sat/laying down its between 95-102. When well its usually 80s.

Stood up walking - even just to and from the bathroom ect goes upto 120-135. When well its usually 95-105

Is this normal when we're sick? Just don't know if I should be concerned. Not breathless, no chest pains. Just feel majorly hot from the temperature  (I'm measuring in at 38.5)

Thanks 😷😷😷😁😁😁🤢

Best Answer
0 Votes
27 REPLIES 27

Bumping the thread. Anyone offer advice?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not a doctor but it makes sense that your body would elevate your heart rate  as your immune system fights off a virus.

Just like it does when you digest food or try to stay warm in the cold etc etc etc.

Best Answer

According to WebMD viral infections can raise your blood pressure and heart rate. I guess what all the moms and the grandmom's said is true - when you're sick, rest and fluids. Hope you feel better soon!

Best Answer

I’m finally over a bout of a cold and feeling crappy.  And, yes, my Heart rate was higher then normal.  Now that I’m feeling better it’s returned to normal readings. 

Remeber to stay hydrated. 

Best Answer

Yes.  I'm currently sick and my RHR jumped from 57 to 61 overnight when I got hit and then jumped up further to 64.  It's never that high.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

@Jawwdan91.. first let me say I hope you feel better soon. I think everyone on all sides of the pond are suffering with some kind of illness. As everyone already pointed out, your RHR is affected by almost everything and anything..food, drink, temperature outside, humidity, illness, you name it. Once you start to to feel better, you will see a decline....

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yah.Silver lining to being sick...the new  'Flu' Fat Burning System Diet .Maybe someone will start a new fad.

Best Answer

I had something similar to you over Christmas.  Went from a resting heart rate, RHR, of 56 to 65 for a week and then slowly receded back down to 56 again.  I wondered what was going on but as it came down I figured it was health related.  You have confirmed that.  I hope you are still feeling well.  That head/throat stuff was a beast.

Best Answer

I was sore throat virus last week, hr was up 10 15%, just back to normal after feeling better 5 days. good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had my fitbit for a long time and I know that mine always goes up when i'm sick or injured.    i can usually tell when i'm about to get sick because i will see my RHR go to about 58, it is normally 51-52.  it never fails if it starts to shoot up about 2-3 days later i end up sick.

Best Answer

This is definitely a question for your doctor/doctors.

For me, the biggest spikes in HR are caused by stress. Smaller increases (less spiky, but more steady increase) can be caused by health issues like allergy (especially with a fever), medical procedures and other body discomfort. 

Lastly, when I'm a bit out of shape, it also go up.

But of course, that's me. There is nothing I can do about HR increase caused by health issues until the health issue is addressed.

For being a deadbeat and out of shape, the simply fix is to get back into my routine.

For stress, all I can say is that you have to find your own way to cope. 

BTW, health issues can also cause stress, so that can be a double whammy there.

The HR data is wildly inaccurate real time, but the trending data is a great monitoring tool for me. I usually don't notice that I'm stressed. People around me also don't notice it since my behaviors don't change with stress. However, I discovered that my body gets punished when I'm stressed even if I don't feel it. The trending data gives me a chance to address it before it becomes a problem.

Best Answer

Hello,

I am experiencing the same thing, very sick but no fever. Well maybe a slight fever yesterday. My heart rate has jumped. Did yours go back to normal when you recovered?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Almost always.   Normally when I get sick I notice that my RHR will increase a few days before I get really sick.  It will normally start to drop before I start feeling better by about a day. I’ve seen mine jump 10-12 over a couple days when I get sick.  

yes you should see it drop back down to whatever your normal is after you are better.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you @mpacker for the reply. On the Fitbit app it shows my resting heart rate has only gone up a few bmp but like right now I am lying in bed and it's showing my current heart rate at 102, which it is usually in the 80's. And when I had to go to the pharmacy earlier it was showing current rate at 136 which is high for me just walking. Is it better to just track what the resting heart rate shows on the app?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah your normal HR will go up too.  I generally just look at RHR.   But on days I have a migraine or am sick I’ll definitely have higher heart rate.  Also know that medications can raise your HR too.   

food will also have an effect, normally when you are sick you eat different foods too

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you @mpacker 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My RHR is always a precursor to minor health issues like throat, common cold etc.. This time I had a major operation on the morning of the 14th October and 3.5 weeks on we are getting back to normal.  The little kick at the end is a sudden cold snap in Melbourne on Nov 5th and the doona went back.  Your sleeping HR definitely affects you daily RHR.

rhr 8nov19.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

@Colinm39  Thank you for the response. I am definitely not sleeping well. Nasal congestion the night before and chest congestion last night. Averaging around 3-5 hours of sleep a night so I am sure it is definitely affecting my heart rate. I never am able to rest well when sick. 

Best Answer
Yes it did. Healthy as a horse now with a nice low heart rate.
Best Answer