Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does being sick cause a big increase in heart rate? 🤢🤢🤢

Hi all 😷🤢

Currently dying of some kind of flu/cold virus. Suffering from a temperature and feeling very tired. Sure you all know what I mean- runny nose, chest cough, no appetite and feeling weak ect.

Basically just wondered- my heart rate has jumped up lots. Sat/laying down its between 95-102. When well its usually 80s.

Stood up walking - even just to and from the bathroom ect goes upto 120-135. When well its usually 95-105

Is this normal when we're sick? Just don't know if I should be concerned. Not breathless, no chest pains. Just feel majorly hot from the temperature  (I'm measuring in at 38.5)

Thanks 😷😷😷😁😁😁🤢

Best Answer
0 Votes
27 REPLIES 27

@5779Great result... Our bodies are amazing and if we only knew what was in store 3 days in advance when our RHR starts going up...

@5779 wrote:
Yes it did. Healthy as a horse now with a nice low heart rate.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes this makes sense bc right now I have a viral infection and yesterday night I fell asleep early as I felt so bad I was having loss of appetite, sweating, body aches, shivers etc and when I woke up about an hour after I fell asleep my heart rate was 132 which felt really bad because I could hear my heartbeat and I was sweating buckets so I'm sure that's what woke me up and I went to the doctors and their heartbeat monitors were about 2 beats lower than mine so i think it can be really important to wear a fitbit or some kind of heart rate monitor, especially when  your ill 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You just described my day today. 😷🤒 I registered 70 minutes  of activity and my heart rate has been in the low 100's all day while I was running a fever. I actually had 0 minutes of activity today. My normal HR average in the 60-70 bpm range. I have the Fitbit Versa 2.

I don't like my stats being artificially inflated when I didn't really do anything except sleep most of the day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I've been seriously ill 3 times in the past year, and a day or two before each time, my resting HR has rapidly spiked to around 80 instead of around 57. My time in the "fat burn zone" also spikes from 2-3 hours a day to about 16 hours. Common cold spikes it a little bit, but not nearly that high.

I have asthma and I'm immunosuppressed, so it's hard to tell an asthma flare from a cold from things like early stages of pneumonia, but once I noticed this HR pattern, it became so much easier to catch stuff early.

Last time I saw my HR start to spike, I got to the doctor right away and said I thought my complaints might just be asthma, but I wasn't sure. She listened to my lungs and they were awful - she immediately got me a bunch of diagnostic tests and an X-ray, and I was able to start meds that day instead of waiting until my symptoms became dangerous to be sure, like I would have done before.

At this point, I'm never going without an HR monitor. It's become super important for monitoring my health.

Best Answer
I agree. I was really sick with asthmatic bronchitis 3 weeks ago and my
Fitbit showed my heart rate hovering around 100 when it's normally in the
60s or low 70s.

Linda
Best Answer
0 Votes

I know! I had the laziest day in years and got up to do the dishes and earned 30 minutes of activity! And my sorry rhr is up there!

Best Answer
0 Votes

This just happened to me… I have asthma and I had some kind of virus but my resting heart rate went up consistently over a week so I went to the doctor and they said I had the beginning of bronchitis or pneumonia and got on antibiotics

Best Answer
0 Votes

Happened to me yesterday. Started with chills and no fever then all heck broke loose. Fever, throat, body ache, head pressure and scariest of it all was a resting heart rate of 120s-130s. Went to ER Care and they did Covid (negative) and flu test (negative). Doc said its 1 of 240 viruses and the HR is a sign the body is fighting it. She said controlling the fever and symptoms will lower the HR. 500mg Tylenol every 4 hrs. It started dropping 12hrs later. 

Now the next morning I have a fever still but heart rate is 90s/100s. Scary but the body is amazing. 

The head pressure is the worst part of this

Best Answer
0 Votes