Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does running in place improve your cardio fitness?

Does running in place improve your cardio fitness score or do you have to go out? I don't mind going for runs but sometimes when it's raining or icy it is pretty difficult especially if it's icy. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@Victoria17 wrote:

Does running in place improve your cardio fitness score or do you have to go out? I don't mind going for runs but sometimes when it's raining or icy it is pretty difficult especially if it's icy. 

I don't have a Charge 2 (yet), so I can't say from experience what improves your cardio fitness score according to this device. The cardio-fitness score is based on the body's ability to utilize oxygen -- specifically VO-max. 

Any exercise that causes you to increase your breathing rate to the maximum comfortable range (mouth slightly open) for a period of 20 minutes or more will improve some aspect of your cardio fitness. If a person isn't able to go this long, they should do what they can. Exercises that cause a person to get uncomfortably winded are likely anaerobic and will do little to increase aerobic capacity.

To answer your question directly, running in place may improve your cardio-fitness, or at least prevent some backsliding on days you can't go outside.

Best Answer
0 Votes

my mom does this walking on the spot DVD that she bought from walmart.  Basically, if it challenges you, go for it.  Personally, I think my time is better spent doing burpees than marching around my living room.  Think about your fitness level before you waste your time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

yea it does when I was reallyyyy out of shape i bought this matt you connect to a tv and type in the distance you run in place on the matt it tracks your speed and a little cartoon person runs a trail it worked wonders getting me started on my fitness journey. If its all your doing and youre relatively in shape it wont do much but if your getting started or doing it as a warm up it will.

Best Answer