Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing statistics

ANSWERED

Hi,

Went for a hike today with a friend, both wearing charge 2 and got some unexpected results. I always assumed that the lower the heart rate then the fitter you are. I would consider myself fitter than my friend who is also 20 KGS heavier than me. 

During the hike my heart rate was consistently higher than his, sometimes up to 20 BPM even though we walked together and neither was under pressure. Surprisingly at the end of the hike he had burned over 200 calories more than me.

Can someone explain why his heart rate was so low and which of us is fitter? For the record, we are the same age and he would also think I'm the fitter of the two.

Thanks for any help or replies

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

A low resting heart rate is a relatively good guide to general cardiovascular fitness, however during exercise it is more a factor of the % of your max HR. and everyone's maximum HR is different. The 220 - age calculation is of little real value, few people actually conform to that, it is mearly a statistical average with a wide margin of error. To find what your true MAX HR is you would need to do a stress test, but this should be done under doctor supervision. A person who is more fit will be able to do the same work load at a lower percentage of their maximum heart rate whatever that may be.

In reality a truer measure of your fitness would be at what % of your lactic threshold you are working at but that is a bit more difficult to determine and will change as you get fitter. Your max HR howerver stays relatively constant, it does decline slowly with age, roughly 1 BPM per year or less. For me it has been less than 1 BPM per year, I haven't tried to determine my MAX HR for a few year now but the last time I did, mine was at 190, and that was when I was about 45. Blows the 220-age right out of the water.

As to the higher calorie burn, he did have to move an extra 20 kg of mass that you didn't, so it is not surprising he burned more calories. Next time you carry a 20 kg back pack and see what results you get, I'll bet you will burn more than him then and be more out of breath too.

That's why some fat people are fitter than skinny people, they have to carry around all that extra weight 24/7. They already have some extra muscle mass hidden under the extra fat just to carry that extra fat in the first place.

You can be fat and fit, but you can also be skinny and unfit. Fat and fit are not mutually exclusive.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

A low resting heart rate is a relatively good guide to general cardiovascular fitness, however during exercise it is more a factor of the % of your max HR. and everyone's maximum HR is different. The 220 - age calculation is of little real value, few people actually conform to that, it is mearly a statistical average with a wide margin of error. To find what your true MAX HR is you would need to do a stress test, but this should be done under doctor supervision. A person who is more fit will be able to do the same work load at a lower percentage of their maximum heart rate whatever that may be.

In reality a truer measure of your fitness would be at what % of your lactic threshold you are working at but that is a bit more difficult to determine and will change as you get fitter. Your max HR howerver stays relatively constant, it does decline slowly with age, roughly 1 BPM per year or less. For me it has been less than 1 BPM per year, I haven't tried to determine my MAX HR for a few year now but the last time I did, mine was at 190, and that was when I was about 45. Blows the 220-age right out of the water.

As to the higher calorie burn, he did have to move an extra 20 kg of mass that you didn't, so it is not surprising he burned more calories. Next time you carry a 20 kg back pack and see what results you get, I'll bet you will burn more than him then and be more out of breath too.

That's why some fat people are fitter than skinny people, they have to carry around all that extra weight 24/7. They already have some extra muscle mass hidden under the extra fat just to carry that extra fat in the first place.

You can be fat and fit, but you can also be skinny and unfit. Fat and fit are not mutually exclusive.

Best Answer
Many thanks for taking the time to respond in such detail, very much
appreciated and very helpful information
Best Answer
0 Votes