Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubt about heartbeat and level of fitness.

ANSWERED

Hi, 

I want to decrease my resting heart rate and I do aerobic exercise 40 minutes 3-4 times a week and walk average an hour a day.  They said a low heartbeat is a sign of a healthy heart. I keep active and my rest heart rate is 75 to 80 bpm. I still think is high considering I am active exercise..  Do I have to run miles everyday to decrease my heart rate? Does everyone with low hear beat run miles and exercise a lots to decrease heart rate?  If someone could inform me?

Thanks

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I have a low resting heart rate (around 46 to 50 usually) and I assure you I dont do huge amounts of strenuois exercise. Yes I am reasonably fit, but I am NOT a super athlete at all. My mother also had a low heart rate so I guess it is genetic in my case!

I agree with @Dominique - dont get too hung up on the numbers - you are in the normal range. 

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Resting heart rate isn’t the be-all and end-all of fitness: your RHR is within the normal fluctuation range, and if you’re in good health otherwise, there’s no reason for you to worry. Live an active lifestyle, eat a healthy diet, manage stress etc. and you’ll be a happy camper!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I have a low resting heart rate (around 46 to 50 usually) and I assure you I dont do huge amounts of strenuois exercise. Yes I am reasonably fit, but I am NOT a super athlete at all. My mother also had a low heart rate so I guess it is genetic in my case!

I agree with @Dominique - dont get too hung up on the numbers - you are in the normal range. 

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply.

Best Answer

Yes, you are right it could be genetic, it doesn't help being an anxiety sufferer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NellyG my RHR varies between 48-55 normally.. and my wifes is somewhere around there too.  Her's used to be a good bit higher (60-70 if i remember correctly) and her's changed dramatically when she started eating healthier.    

it's amazing the difference food makes on your body.   

We mainly eat organic stuff and very little meat and breads.... 

i'm over 50 and she is getting close to 50 (which they say also tends to drive up your RHR)

Best Answer

@star68 Yes, anxiety does raise your heart rate. I have always suffered from anxiety but it has improved as I have got older and learnt how to manage it better, so hang in there. I find relaxation exercises or meditation has really helped, though it was very hard to start doing them. Worth a try.

@mpacker yes I agree diet affects it a lot. I am also not a big meat eater (though I do eat some). I am over 50 too (probably further over than you are lol) and mine hasnt risen as I age. In fact it is lower now than when I was 20, but I am a good deal fitter and also eat better than I did then!

Community Council Member

Best Answer