Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endomondo integration

When I link Endomondo to my Fitbit Versa 2 and do a bike ride I end up with two entries on my activity platform. Neither looks completely accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

If you look at the entries you'll discover they are different in other ways besides calorie burn.

One is a Work Record, which can be manually created (where you would enter the activity, start/duration time, speed/pace, even calorie burn if you don't use the database entry), or synced from a connected system with start/duration time and calories burn, maybe speed/pace.

Fitbit created an Activity Record, which is merely a snapshot of the stats prior to that synced workout coming in, it shows what occurred for that chunk of time, HR, steps, distance from impacts (not correct for bike ride obviously). You can edit and rename the description, put in notes, but can't change the stats since it's merely showing what was in the data.

But Fitbit is a replace only system - so the later workout record replaced calorie burn in the daily stats.

The snapshot still shows what was, but the workout is now what is.

I'd leave both so you can compare later as time goes on.

Fitbit calories was based on HR-based calculation. Which has some caveats to being decent estimate.

Endomondo was likely based on normal bike calcs which are usually badly inflated unless you had a power meter.

How far for how long - and what were the reported calorie burns for both?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes
For a 20 mile ride, Fitbit only credited me with 6 calories per minute, which is the same I get for walking.

Endomondo credited me for 13 calories per mile which seems more reasonable and is in line with manual calculation systems I have found on-line.

FitBit has a problem that may result in me returning it and purchasing an Apple Watch.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, besides the fact you are comparing apples and oranges (cal / min doesn't take into account intensity of the workout at all) for biking and walking, also cal/min and cal/mile.

I hit 11 cal/min on my last short ride rather wimpy 187 normalized watts.

But that was also 46 cal/mile.

Walking is calories per mile, pace doesn't matter much at all except you can't do as much per same time.

Riding has such a wind factor it is per mile or min @ a certain speed - speed required.

I'd say if the stats show a match to online that is good confirmation.

Was the Fitbit using HR-based calorie burn?

I mean - was HR there and accurate at higher HR?

Some people it has a cutoff line above which it can't read accurately, and it may have been the same line your walking goes up to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes