Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For all my desk job workers...

ANSWERED

What is the best way you've been able to increase your steps while working a desk job? Currently, I'm splitting my lunch break and trying to finish my food in 15 minutes while walking the remaining 15 minutes. Let me know what works for you!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I'm retired now. But when I was working I would get up every hour and walk around.

Go to the bathroom on a different floor if your office has floors. Same for water. Go talk to an employee instead of emailing them.

But just getting up every hour and walking for 5 minutes racked up several steps

On my Breaks I would also go outside and walk around the building for 10 minutes.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

Also, feel free to add me as a friend so that I have some motivation for steps. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm retired now. But when I was working I would get up every hour and walk around.

Go to the bathroom on a different floor if your office has floors. Same for water. Go talk to an employee instead of emailing them.

But just getting up every hour and walking for 5 minutes racked up several steps

On my Breaks I would also go outside and walk around the building for 10 minutes.

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Probably the hardest thing for me to do as my job is nearly all computer based. However best things I can do are:

1) walk or run up and down the 4 flights of stair to the office in the morning and evening

2) drink plenty of water so that I have to go to the bathroom a lot!

3) never use the phone for internal use but walk and visit people to ask questions/get info

Best Answer

@WendyB Those are wonderful suggestions. Thank you! I started taking the "long way around" to get to the bathroom. I also brought a cup today to refill my water at the water fountain instead of bringing my gallon of water. I've already racked up way more steps than usual!

Best Answer

@AndyJakarta I like the stairs suggestion! I have a flight of them right around the corner from my office. I think I'll start using some of my extra lunch break time to take them for a spin.

Best Answer

In addition to what everyone else suggested, I also park far away from the door (unless it's pouring down rain).  I also take multiple trips where possible.  So, if I need to refill my water AND go to the bathroom, I would go to the bathroom first (taking the long route) and then go back to my office to get my water bottle and take the long way to the break room to fill it up.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Definitely taking the stairs whenever I can, this has increased my steps significantly, but I also try to do a few short walks throughout the day, 15 or 10 minute walks. 😀

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

Some great suggestions here. I'm fortunate that I have to make checks on stuff away from my desk which does help and I always try to take the long way round when doing so to get some extra steps. My main trick also is to get out of the office and  take a 30 minuite walk at lunchtime rain ot shine which also helps to clear the head too. 

Tony | UK

Ionic, Versa 2, Charge 3 SE, Aria 2, Flyer, Note 9, Android 8.1, Windows 10

Best Answer

@Tony.r  some times that saved me in the afternoon. Just getting out and walk to clear your head does wonders

People think I'm nuts but I love walking in the rain. Something about it is just calming to me

Community Council Member

Best Answer

That actually sounds good @WendyB, I find the sound of rain very relaxing too, so getting a few extra steps in the rain could work perfectly for me 😃 

Best Answer

Yes works well for me @WendyB although I do draw the line if its heavy torrential rain,. If that happens I just walk round the building instead as I work in quite a large building. 

Tony | UK

Ionic, Versa 2, Charge 3 SE, Aria 2, Flyer, Note 9, Android 8.1, Windows 10

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes @Tony.r I draw the line there to. If its blowing in my face I don't go

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tony.r @WendyB Our building isn’t large but we do have a good sized conference room. If it’s empty on bad weather days, I’ll walk around it instead of pacing the halls. 

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I park further away, use a smaller water bottle, drink cold water (makes me go to the toilet more!), and a lot of what the others have already said (try to take more breaks, walk to colleague, etc.). I also try to walk in a small circle when on the phone if possible.

It's now too hot to walk at lunchtime as I used to do, so I have to do that in the morning/evening.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great suggestions @nottelling

Will definitely five them a try 😀 

Best Answer

I was floored when I first got my fitbit to see how very few steps I actually took during a day at my own desk job. Fortunately, I work across from one of the country's most famous parks and I would eat at my desk quickly and walk during the rest of my lunch. I also use my fitbit notification setting to remind me to get up and move. I would walk up and down the hallways in my office just to get some steps in. Now I got to the gym on my lunch break and that helps as well. (I also take some mini breaks to do some squats or lunges around the office when there aren't others around.)

Best Answer

Very good suggestions @Ally2390

Great tips for someone working on a desk for most of the day. 😱 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, that’s very nice tips to start for. I have been on a desk job for a year now, and I have gained some weight. I was looking for some workout tips, but I didn’t find adequate time to pursue it. One of my friends then suggested to me that, I can try the 10 min Aerobic workout, and trust me it was quite nice. I had started working out and lose weight. Yes, that wasn’t too much quick weight loss, but I was losing it bit by bit and how much difficult it would be to take out just ten minutes post your lunch and dinner to work out. I don’t think so that it would be that as difficult as it was studying for my Cisco certification. Though I had lots of help from here at SPOTO, it was a bit difficult to learn it all. Thus, you could also try out these 10 minutes Aerobics workout and observe results yourself.

Best Answer
0 Votes