Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercise calories burned

I workout with 2-3 other friends using a Fitbit Blaze but my friends all use an Apple fitness watch. 

We all just performed the same high intensity strength training program for 60 minutes virtually at the same age, gender and intensity and fitness level.

My Blaze tracker only shows total calories burned while their's shows both active and total.

Beyond that my total is usually as much as 50% below their counts. I have not found any way to apply this type of adjustment prior to beginning my strength training which almost always continues of alternating a strength exercise with a high intensity exercise. 

Will this ever become more accurate or at least a fix be made for error correction?

Sincerely,

Ron

Consistently 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Are you all about the same weight?

Did you all have the same avgHR during the session?

Those stats figure into several calculations in a major way.

Apple removes from the calorie burn for that chunk of time base calories burned (BMR) as if you hadn't done the exercise. Goofy way of doing it I think, how do they know I'd be sleeping otherwise?

Fitbit is estimating what you burned in total for that chunk of time in total.

HR-based calorie burn formula can be very prone to error and is only a decent estimate for steady-state aerobic. And Fitbit's improve over time after they have gotten other stats.

Intervals and strength training is inflated estimate.

Apple would be using that. Most Fitbit's would too.

I think Blaze is one of the models when you select strength training or Weights, it uses a more appropriate database rate of burn - which would be much less than HR-based. And more correct estimate.

Did you select the workout as Weights?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes