Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercises And Tips For Reduced Mobility

Hi everyone! 

The number of people who suffer from a condition that causes reduced mobility increases every year and many have found Fitbit trackers and watches very useful to track their daily activity level, especially when they can't perform high intensity workouts. 

slow walk.jpg

Living with limited mobility or using a wheelchair can make it more difficult to take part in traditional forms of exercise. If you’re unable to stand, or can’t stay standing for long periods of time, then it may feel like most forms of exercise are unavailable to you. 

What has been your experience with this? How did you get started and what what tips do you have for someone that has reduced mobility and is looking to start tracking their activity? Feel fee to share your thoughts, your journey or recommendations. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

I walk with two canes most of the time, and use a walker for longer treks. I have constant pain from my lower back on down, so getting enough steps is pretty hard. (FitBit doesn't seem to recognize steps when I use a walker or shopping cart). When I can't get to the gym to use their recumbent stepper machine, I sit in my desk chair (no arms) and use one of my canes like an oar to mimic paddling a kayak. (We used to kayak a lot in our younger years). It's low impact, but it gets my heart-rate up and it helps tone my stomach muscles. (I consciously tighten my abs with each stroke). Before I start a paddling session, I select "Workout" on my watch and hit start, so it counts in my exercise log. 

BTW, I have the FitBit Inspire2. 

Best Answer

Those are great suggestions, @Kneejay! Thank you for sharing your experience. 

My father is in a similar situation, with constant pain from the lower back. It's definitely challenging to find the right activity, but there are always some options available. I'll suggest him to give this a try. 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

My mobility is fine, but I use a UBE ⛮ for my upper body workout.

It is recommended for people with limited lower body mobility & wheelchairs.

It is both aerobic AND muscle-building.

Argali/Inspire 3 ⛮ ₍⭖⁾
"Run in such a way as to attain the prize,
a crown that will last forever!"
Best Answer

Thank you for sharing that, @Argali! It seems great for the upper body workout. 😎

Best Answer

I had a recent severe injury while exercising.  I won’t have ROM in my right arm.  I’d love to see exercises for people with mobility issues, it would be more inclusive. Your exercises in your coach program look wonderful.  I’d like to see the 2nd or 3rd person with mobility issues, or arm or shoulder injuries adapt to exercises for those with challenges, if you had a section for this it would be wonderful and inclusive 

Best Answer

Hello @RebeccaBug 

That's an excellent suggestion.

I looked in the Product Feedback forum (<-- click link) where users can suggest product features. I found a couple of feature requests for modified workouts, including this older one (<-- click link). Sadly, the status has been changed to Not under Consideration.

You can add your vote to this feature request or submit a new one. If you submit a new feature request, please consider replying to this thread with a link to your feature request. That way, other users who read this thread can click on the link and add their vote.

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer