Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feel much better doing strength training only...

When I started this weight loss journey at the end of December 2016, I didn't start hitting the gym until April 3rd, 2017. Long ago (in my 30s), I did a lot of cardio to try and lose weight (with some weight lifting), but always hated it. This time around, with my weight loss doctors advise, I decided to enjoy my time in the gym and decided to just do strength training instead. Basically my doctor told me to find something that I will enjoy and stick to that because that will keep me motivated.

However, since I am 53 years old, I also took a different approach to strength training compared to when I was in my 30s.

From April to September 2017 all I did was lift weights and walking (yes, that's cardio, but not the same in regards to doing it on a machine for 45-60 mins). However, I decided in September 2017, I would add in 30 minutes of moderate intensity cardio (rowing machine). So, from September 2017 to the end of December 2017 I did strength training and 30 minutes of cardio on the rower. For while, I actually started to enjoy it. I challenged myself (did HIIT style workouts on the rower, etc.), and I was really making head way with the intensity.

But... It made me a lot more hungrier, and I didn't really loose that much weight compared to when I was just doing strength training. Also, after the 3rd month (sometime in November 2017), I was feeling very worn out, and loosing my motivation to go to the gym.

So, I decided to ditch the moderate intensity cardio in January 2018 and go back to mainly strength training and doing walking as cardio. Basically, after every lift (sets/reps), I do 5 laps of fast walking around the weight area (pretty good length for each lap). This gives me a good rest time between lifts and it keeps my heart slightly elevated. Also, doing this routine equals out to 1.5 hours for my workout, which is the limit I put on because I work out very early in the morning before work. I've been recording these workouts with my FitBit Charge2 with these average results:

• HR: 112-145 <--- average range for each workout.
  • Calories Burned 1090-1280 (Depends on the muscle combinations I am working that day. Actual calories I think I'm REALLY burning is probably closer to 500-650 per workout, because I do not think the calories my Charge2 tells me is accurate. I mean, really, I burn over 1000 calories? I don't really think I do, so I always cut it in half.)
  • I use the *Workout* option on my fit bit because it's not all *Weights*.

I feel so much better going back to this earlier routine (with the laps) and I am no where near as hungry when I was doing the rower for 30 minutes. Plus, my motivation is now very high because I spend most of my energy on doing what I love, and that's strength training.

Just some other stats:

• Daily Calorie Intake: 1800-2000
  • Starting Weight: 420 lbs.
  • Current Weight: 286 lbs.
  • Goal Weight: 250 lbs.
  • Main Fitness Goals: Lose Weight & Get Strong
Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Wow! Great job!  I am a 51 year old runner who decided I needed a new challenge so in early Dec. 2017 I started doing weight lifting with a personal trainer.  I love it---it's very intense and challenging but I am gaining so much strength! My trainer advised me not to run for awhile and my weight has stayed the same but my body has improved a lot.  I also feel really good 🙂

Best Answer

I am a die hard cardio fan because that's how I lost and how I maintain. But, three years ago- a little longer, I tried boot camp boxing. I loved it. Then I signed up to strength train and I loved it. Especially when I look lean and strong, not willowy. Now I mix it up. Saturday and Sunday I have to intense cardio to sweat out the weekend ( I have a love of fatty foods and adult beverages on the weekends) but the rest of the time I walk and lift and stretch.. it works perfect when you find ways to keep yourself engaged and interested and seeing results for the effort.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@emili

I still want to continue doing the Concept2 rower in the future, so I'm not ruling out traditional cardio (*traditional cardio* to me is using the machines). But lifting weights along with laps between the exercises seems to really give me a workout that feels like I pushed, but not that worn out feeling I usually have the rest of the day when I try to incorporate a high intensity cardio routine.

Honestly, I'm not doing this to be athletic, or for sports, or to be *muscular*. My main goals as I said are simple: Lose weight, and get strong. And or course, I want to be around for my wife Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Personally, I think your goals aren't quite right with your activity.

Weight is a fine indicator if you are old school and cardio heavy, but it doesn't tell you the whole story.

A good portion of NFL Lineman and Tight Ends are your weight or more, but run a 4.5-4.8 40 and have a 30 inch vertical.  The Rock is 270 lbs and any woman that would say they'd kick him out of bed is lying.

In the past 6 months I've lost less than 10 pounds (running 265-270) but dropped my waist size 6 inches (currently a 36),  shirt size from a 3X/2XT to a X/2X (depending on the fit in the shoulders), and can out sprint most 18-21 y/o down a basketball court at 40

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I started back in December 2016, I had a 60" waist, and I needed a 6x shirt.

I'm currently wearing 3x shirts and down to a 48" waist. I started in these sizes last November 2017. I do still wear a few 4x shirts that I can still look decent in. But even the new 3x shirts are pretty loose on me.

I don't remember the last time I was in a 3x shirt. Feels pretty good to me.

Best Answer
0 Votes