Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FitBit moving

ANSWERED

I've been reading various stories in the news about Fitbit possibly being up for sale.  Today's story touted Amazon as a potential buyer because of the new Fitbit Alexa equipped Versa.  The story also mentioned that Fitbit is capped an $1 billion and this is about what Amazon paid for Ring.  This should be interesting to follow.

Have any of the Fitbit employees heard anything?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Recent news is indeed interesting. The stock prices went up when it was announced that Fitbit started exploring sale options a couple of weeks ago. Not too much, from below $3 to almost $4 but it shows what investors are expecting Fitbit to do next - sell the company. It may mean many things to the users from the total shutdown (if the buyer decided to remove Fitbit as a competitor) to improving the services and quality of the hardware. As for hardware, Fitbit doesn't have much to offer to a potential buyer (almost every competitor offers superior technology and they don't need tech that lasts barely a year) but the value of Fitbit is more based on the data and user base. Every day brings more news and I'm curious where Fitbit is going to be by the end of the year. One thing I know, Fitbit products may not be the best choice as gifts for upcoming Xmas 😉

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @SunsetRunner that's interesting. Technology is growing at lightning speed! I would think Fitbit employees wouldn't know what's going on at the corporate level or at the very least are prevented from discussing it due to signing a NDA.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Recent news is indeed interesting. The stock prices went up when it was announced that Fitbit started exploring sale options a couple of weeks ago. Not too much, from below $3 to almost $4 but it shows what investors are expecting Fitbit to do next - sell the company. It may mean many things to the users from the total shutdown (if the buyer decided to remove Fitbit as a competitor) to improving the services and quality of the hardware. As for hardware, Fitbit doesn't have much to offer to a potential buyer (almost every competitor offers superior technology and they don't need tech that lasts barely a year) but the value of Fitbit is more based on the data and user base. Every day brings more news and I'm curious where Fitbit is going to be by the end of the year. One thing I know, Fitbit products may not be the best choice as gifts for upcoming Xmas 😉

Best Answer

Actually the rumors started when a third party company, Googles parent, encouraged fitbit to sell to Google 

Best Answer

Actually the rumors started when a third party company, Googles parent, encouraged fitbit to sell to Google. 

James Park said that if the right offer and compatible with the direction he wants to go, is made, the offer may be considered. 

Best Answer