Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step counting? I don't think so...

ANSWERED
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Steps are only one of the metrics tracked by Fitbit. When engaging in a physical activity, you’re doing it for a number of reasons (e.g. to burn extra calories for weight loss, to improve your stamina, your strength, your bone health etc.) that do not necessarily translate into steps. For instance, when I spend 45 minutes in my home gym lifting weights, I hardly get any steps at all, but it was not my goal to begin with.

With your mini cycler, you should look at things like your average heart rate during your cycling session, the calories Fitbit says you burned, compared to what would have happened while doing the same things (e.g. sitting at your desk), but not cycling.

My guess is working at your desk standing (instead of sitting) would in fact be more challenging (and rewarding) than using an under-the-desk mini-cycler, even if that wouldn’t give steps either.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

I think people might be leery of clicking on links without context. Maybe explain a bit more about your point and question. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Using a mini cycle - or a stationary under the desk cycle - wouldn't add steps. No hands moving.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Steps are only one of the metrics tracked by Fitbit. When engaging in a physical activity, you’re doing it for a number of reasons (e.g. to burn extra calories for weight loss, to improve your stamina, your strength, your bone health etc.) that do not necessarily translate into steps. For instance, when I spend 45 minutes in my home gym lifting weights, I hardly get any steps at all, but it was not my goal to begin with.

With your mini cycler, you should look at things like your average heart rate during your cycling session, the calories Fitbit says you burned, compared to what would have happened while doing the same things (e.g. sitting at your desk), but not cycling.

My guess is working at your desk standing (instead of sitting) would in fact be more challenging (and rewarding) than using an under-the-desk mini-cycler, even if that wouldn’t give steps either.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Most people that use a mini cycle are not stepping and do not want pedal rotations counted as steps. As explained above, while the fitbit is mounted on the arm, it looks at arm motions, and has no idea that the feet are moving since the arm is stationary. 

Best Answer