Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit and tendinitis

I picked up an old thread (2019) about the possible relationship between wearing a fitbit and tendinitis in one or more of the joints of the arm it's worn on. People had consulted doctors and physical therapists, who suggested various possible causes. Here's my layman's theory. I wear mine on my left arm. In the last year I have experienced increasing tendinitis in my left shoulder. The idea came to me that they might be related when I recalled an episode of tendinitis when I served in the US Navy. I developed "saluter's elbow" in my right arm from all the snappy salutes I returned to all the sailors and Marines I encountered in the course of a day. Was there a similar repetitive motion related to the fitbit? Though the watch is designed to be motion activated, so that the screen lights up when you turn your wrist to look at the display, mine can be a little sluggish. I found myself often snapping my left arm around repeatedly, trying to get the screen to come on. After the memory of the saluter's elbow came to me I repeated that motion, and found that it caused me to rotate my shoulder. I've now switched the fitbit to my right arm and plan to press the button if the display does not come on easily with a gently motion.

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Good analysis, @Bollardlpd8 - You don’t mention which Fitbit device you have but many now offer an “always on” screen. No wrist snapping needed. Yes, it eats up the battery life but for many, it’s not a bad trade off.

Best Answer

Thanks Carol. I may need a new one anyway.

Best Answer

I developed De Quervans Tenosinovytis as well, and it was absolutely related to the fitbit. It's not from repetitive motion for me, it's the way the watch band restricts my movement and forces me to use my wrist joint. 

I just tried the Inspire 2 vs my Sense 2 to see if a smaller watch face would help. Pain developed more and more throughout the day and eventually it had to come off. This developed on my dominant hand. Other wrist is fine.

Also should note I have to wear my fitbit with the face on my inner wrist as I have tattoos on the top of my wrist and it can't read through them. I think that's part of it as well. 

If you notice any pain, stop wearing it! This is now an ongoing problem and I will likely need injections to the nerve 😭

Best Answer
0 Votes