Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit versa spinning calories accuracy/ margin for error

Hi, recently got a versa and started exercising using the spinning mode. I set the goal to 200 kcal, when the calories were met on my watch, the bike said 110, compared to my Fitbits 200. My question is which is more accurate. My first guess is the Fitbit as it has my weight and height etc, but I assume it’s all based on my HR, so is the 200 burned on the Fitbit accounting for the 200 burned exercising or overall burnt at that time too? I don’t want to overestimate how many calories I’ve burnt, so is there a margin for error I should account for I.e 20% less or is the calories burnt on my Fitbit quite accurate, thanks again.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi, recently got a versa and started exercising using the spinning mode. I set the goal to 200 kcal, when the calories were met on my watch, the bike said 110, compared to my Fitbits 200. My question is which is more accurate. My first guess is the Fitbit as it has my weight and height etc, but I assume it’s all based on my HR, so is the 200 burned on the Fitbit accounting for the 200 burned exercising or overall burnt at that time too? I don’t want to overestimate how many calories I’ve burnt, so is there a margin for error I should account for I.e 20% less or is the calories burnt on my Fitbit quite accurate, thanks again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are using calories burned for weight management purposes, what really matters are total calories at the daily level (as opposed to calories burned during a workout). If the bike has no information about yourself, it’s just giving a generic estimate (the size, age and gender of the person using the bike can make a big difference. Your Fitbit, OTOH, has this information, plus your heart rate during the workout. Both may be off, however. I’d stick to the Fitbit calories, since they’re provided on 24/7 basis. If you log your intake and regularly step on a scale, you should be able (over time) to assess the accuracy of the calories burned estimate.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer