Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps Earned During Exercise Bike

Why is it that sometimes when I'm using an exercise bike for half an hour I can earn over 1500 steps, and other times I don't earn any.

I log the miles I do on the bike, but it's frustrating to think that I'm kind of logging the miles twice and I don't want to take my fitbit off.

While we are talking about exercise bikes, does anybody have any tips for why I get sore hands and wrists or why do I always slide forward on my saddle or a way to prevent a sore bum?

Thanks,

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I don't log any steps if I keep my hands on the bars; instead I keep my fitbit hand on my thigh while I ride.  This gives you the number of steps equal to the number of crank revolutions (about half what you would get on an elliptical).  

Some people suggest attaching your FB to your ankle when riding as it will pick up the cadence of your ride.

Best Answer

Hi @Simon65.  @bankr63  Is right.  You won’t get steps unless the wrist with your Fitbit is moving.  I get some steps riding my bike while commuting, but that is because of bumps in the road and moving side to side as I ride.  On a stationary bike, there usually isn’t much wrist movement to pick up unless you take your hands off the bars and put then on your thighs.  I wouldn’t worry too much about it.  If you log the ride, along with your increased heart rate your active minutes and calorie burn should be pretty accurate.  

Sore hands and wrists are probably from gripping tightly, and leaning on the bars.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer