Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foot/Ankle Pain?

ANSWERED

Good morning everyone

So I have a question about a pain that I experience when I walk distances.  I'm a 37 year old guy, 5'7", and I'm about 100lbs overweight.  Despite my obesity status, I'm an avid walker.  I live in a city with incredible public transit options, but I still prefer to hoof it on my own two feet.  I surpass my 10k step goal almost every day and it's very common for me to walk five miles per day.

However, when I walk distances I often get a sharp pain (it feels like being stabbed, I'd imagine), that starts on the outside of my ankle and works its way up my calf (usually my left leg) as I continue to walk.  Eventually it goes away, as if my body adapts or the muscle that's knotting up has been worked out enough that it's no longer sore (or I just go numb to it, who knows?). 

For the longest time I thought it was the fact that I've always purchased cheap footwear.  However for the better part of a year now I've spent well over $100 a pair on top-quality active shoes that have the proper cushion and arch support.  This seems to work for a few months and then as the shoes wear down the pain returns.  I've examined my shoes as I wear them down, and it seems based on the way the bottoms of my shoes look after a few months I'm wearing down more tread on the outside of my shoes.  Does that mean I'm not walking on my feet evenly? 

I realize I should probably see an orthopedic doctor. 

Thoughts from runners, avid walkers?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You might want to go to RunnersWorld.com and check out their shoe finder.  Sounds like you're an overpronator, and you can get shoes that help with that.  I do the same.  

Disclosure...I'm a beginner at all of this but have been researching shoes and running quite a bit lately.  Hopefully someone with more experience gives you an answer but for now I wouldn't hestitate to checkout RunnersWorld.com and/or Google overpronation. 

Also, that pain could be Ahcillies Tendonitis (or nothing...I'm not a doctor), but if you have pain/discomfort I would go to a doctor to be sure.  You don't want to do any long-term damage.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

You might want to go to RunnersWorld.com and check out their shoe finder.  Sounds like you're an overpronator, and you can get shoes that help with that.  I do the same.  

Disclosure...I'm a beginner at all of this but have been researching shoes and running quite a bit lately.  Hopefully someone with more experience gives you an answer but for now I wouldn't hestitate to checkout RunnersWorld.com and/or Google overpronation. 

Also, that pain could be Ahcillies Tendonitis (or nothing...I'm not a doctor), but if you have pain/discomfort I would go to a doctor to be sure.  You don't want to do any long-term damage.

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply.  I will research this!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure if this is the same problem or not, but I get this sharp pain on the outer side of my left foot, right under the ankle ball when I move my ankle in a specificway.  It is extremely painful at first and the loosens up to the point where its bearable.  At first I thought maybe its planter fasciatis or an achilles problem but being on the side of the ankle made both somewhat unlikely.  So I did a google search and found a forum which described my issue exactly and the forum indicated that this is an impingement of the sural nerve and it sounds like it can be corrected with physical therapy.  Of course, I haven't done anything about it yet 🙂

But here's the url if you want to read about it and see if its the same issue you have. 

http://www.drfoot.co.uk/phpBB2/post-8195.html&sid=3c4bffcad8917d5bc6fd9b7935bfbbdb

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sural nerve impingement will also be felt up the lateral side of the lower leg (in most cases) but you'll get it on the lateral aspect of the foot as well, so I agree it could be.  Plantar fasciitis can present as being anterior-lateral heel pain as well, however, so don't dismiss that idea.  The phrase "painful as hell when I first walk on it, but then seems to loosen up and get a little bit better" strongly suggests Plantar Fasciitis. 

I'd recommend a visit to a podiatrist.

-BWD.

Best Answer

I have a very similar issue .. The local running store called it Plantar Fascitis.  They recommended a regimine of foot and ankle stregnthing exercises along with regular stretching your calves and achilles 

https://www.playmakers.com/Portals/0/Documents/Heel.pdf

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is a movement called barefoot running. You might want to look at that as well. If you prefer video's to written word, google "barefoot running and TED talks",    Our feet are overprotected by the new expensive sneakers, and feet are strengthened by running barefoot or in "zerodrop" running shoes.  This helps to correct over and under pronation without orthotic inserts. 

Best Answer

When I had my issues (and I believe it to be related to the Sural Nerve), it started after I switched from wearing Vibram FiveFinger shoes to regular sneakers from Under Armour.  I had been using the VFFs for long walks for about a year with no issue and after a few weeks with sneakers, I started getting the pain.  I switched back to the VFFs and the pain is mostly gone now.  I still feel a little twinge, but it's definitely moving in the right direction.

Best Answer

Seek medical attention, thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sitting at my desk with my left foot resting on a pillow on my desk. Last weekend I woke up with my foot swollen like a football and extreme pain. I couldn't put my foot on the floor. So my husband took me to the ER. the Dr. thought it was broken.

After X-rays and a Cat Scan, The Dr. said it was a Sprained Ligament. He gave me a shot and a prescription for pain pills and told me to go home and keep it elevated for 5-6 days above my heart.

I can definitly see the difference in my daily steps on my Fitbit report. Hopefully it will heal quickly so I can get back to my Fitbit routine.

I hope you have a speedy recovery too. Be carefull out there! 

Juanita H

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had foot pain and went to the foot doctor.  He suggested PowerStep insoles.  Best thing I have ever done for my feet.  Have not had any pain since.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,
 I have foot pain. I was cant wear shoes. I was try many types of shoes, but shoes are not comfortable. then I try Orthofeet's shoes and it's a very good. many people use Orthofeet's shoes. as you say orthofeet make shoes. comfortable for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had been experiencing foot pain and plantar fasciitis. I was desperate to find a shoe that could get me through a day of walking without pain. Well I found it, the orthofeet not only gives me the foot support and pain relief I needed; they are also a good looking shoe that can be paired with many different outfits. The shoes took me about three weeks to wear in so that they were comfortable enough to wear on a 4-8 mile walk. 

Best Answer
0 Votes