Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Footwear for Winter Months

I got motivated to start walking in June and I have enjoyed my increased fitness and weight loss.  I live in the midwest, and I want to stay motivated as winter temperatures drop and snowy days approach.  I know my athletic shoes aren't going to cut it and neither are my clunky snow boots.  Does anyone have a good suggestion for appropriate footwear?

Best Answer
0 Votes
16 REPLIES 16

@KeJoGu, I too live in the midwest (SW Ohio), and I also like to continue walking/hiking in the winter months.  The two most important things I have found for winter shoes is good traction of the soles, and insulating/absorbent socks.  I have a pair of Nevados that I love for winter walks, but there are lots of others on the market.

Best Answer

When I ran in the winter I used my regular running shoes and never had a problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think a regular and comfortable running shoes would be enough for you. Just get the one you feet and legs feel comfortable in and are easy to wear for a longer period of time. that's it.

Best Answer

I live in the DC area and tend to wear “trail type” running shoes — aggressive tread and some types are waterproof— year round with merino wool socks. They are usually plenty warm enough with good socks.  If there is snow pack or ice I put yaktrax or similar on the bottom.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Smartwool socks! I live in the Pacific Northwest, so not as cold as where some of you live, but it's WET. The wetness can really chill you to the bone and cold feel while hiking are miserable. Smartwool makes great socks in a variety of thickness. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

I am impressed that you all actually go out to walk in the winter. I am trying to figure out how I can walk the dog from my car with the heat. I think I was meant for Arizona.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
Be good to your dog, walk in the early morning or late evening when the sun
goes down. Remember, dog don't sweat, they only get rid of body heat by
panting, and they will follow you even though it's doing them harm because
they love you. One day this year I was driving in my neighborhood when I
saw a runner literally dragging his dog at 2:00 in the afternoon. I
stopped and asked him what he thought he was doing. The dog was almost
passing out. I told him if I ever saw this behavior again I would call the
police and report him. Dogs can be so loyal to their owner they will die
for them.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Corney I assure you my dog is very loved and never in harm. My post was more about me disliking the cold. I'm certain you meant no offense but maybe think your response through before posting. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
emili: sorry I thought you were talking about the heat. my mistake. I
apologize.
Best Answer

@Corney all good my friend. All good. Have a great weekend

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the tip.  I just placed my order.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you bundle up, you are warm.  hat, scarf, good coat, heavy socks and shoes that don't slip on the snow and ice.  It's easier to stay warm in the winter than it is cool in the summer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The last two years we had a lot more rain and cold weather than is usual for where I live. I hate having cold wet feet, so regular running shoes were not cutting it, I went with a pair of Ugg walking shoes, lined with sheepskin. My feet were warm and dry and I ended up wearing a hole right through the sole, I put so many miles on them. I have already ordered a new pair for the cold weather to come this year!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@KeJoGu: I don’t know where you are and what your winter conditions look like, but I live in Southern Finland, walk/run on a mix of forest paths, dirt roads and asphalt roads and these are my go-to shoes for the fall/winter season:

The North Face Sakura GTX:

North Face.jpg

Salomon SpeedCross 4:

salomon_speedcross4.jpg

Salomon SpikeCross 3:

salomon spikecross.jpg

I use the second Salomons when it’s really icy and slippery, as they’re got metallic spikes (5 in the front, 4 in the back) that will hold on any surface.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Dominique.... Dominique is a total bad ass

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey

You can have a wide range of options for the shoes fit for cold weather. I have bought a cold weather safety boot recently.

From coolers to chilly winters, the boots in our frosty climate safety footwear gathering give protection for warmth, protection from dampness spills and also solidifying and splitting in below zero temperatures.

There are many companies providing safety footwear online. They can provide you with cold weather safety boots. Hope the information is helpful.

Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes