Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games that get you moving

I wanted to share some games for the Android Smartphones that can get you out walking and see if anyone has other games they found as well.

If your going to walk, why not play a game while doing it?

The first big game I played long before I had a smartphone or fitbit is Geocaching. Think of a high tech treasure hunt. There are thousands of these hidden and probably right under your nose and not even know it. You can use your smartphone or a GPS, which is my device of choice.

Geocaching website

Apps for smartphones:

c:geo app (Free)

Geocaching app (Offical app $)

This next game I just tried playing last night for the first time; Ingress.

It's a real world game. The info for the app is vague. Had to do a web search to get the basic idea on what you want to do in the game. Must have worked since I took over an enemy portal in my area.

Best for bigger cities, more portals, but the small town I live in has a few right along my usual walk path.

Ingress app (Free)

The following games I have not tried yet so I can give no personal info about them. When I do try them I hope walking will work for them as I don't run.

Zombie, Run! app (Free) Install on my phone, have not personally tried yet.

Zombies, Run! 5k Training app ($)

Zombies, Run! app ($)

One / Flex 2 / Charge 2
Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21
The Zombies, Run! App is great. You don't have to run -- just go 20% faster than your walking average for a minute to escape a Zombie hoard. Entertaining story line integrated with a play list of songs on your phone for 30 - 60 minute episodes.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I used to geocache when I lived in the mountains.  It was amazingly fun and also helped me explore the area where I lived and brought me to some really cool hiking trails.

I just found another app for android called Virtual Walk that I've been enjoying.  It has different walks on it, for example, a walk on the National Mall in DC.  It tracks your distance travelled and correlates to where you would be on the walking trail. On my lunch break the other day I walked from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial.  🙂  It's espicially cool to me since I've done that particualr walk in real life several times.

It even has a section of the Appalachian Trail, and you can pause and contiinue whenever you want, so you can of course do it in parts.  The app is free and you can buy more maps, but the ones that come with it for free are enough to keep me entertained for a while.

Best Answer

I don't know if this helps since it is not for a phone, but I've recently used the Zumba video game for xbox 360 with Kinect.  It runs you through full Zumba workouts and definitely helps to get in your steps when you can't get outside for a walk.  Fun and the earning of points for following the moves keeps me motivated.

Best Answer

I go Geocaching with my boys (7&9) they love it.. 

Best Answer

I am sooo going to try these! This looks like fun!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried geocaching, but could never find one.

Waymarking is fun as you can create your own waymarks. There are many different categories.

I'm doing a 48 State Virtual hike on a website I created. I try to take pictures each day and write about whatever. 

Using a light at night to find critters in the prairie was fun until I found a bear. It didn't bother me though.

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer

I've been looking for an Android app! I will certainly add a couple today Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes
My 11yo son and I went geocaching for the first time. We had so much fun! A large number of caches are within walking distance of where we live. I'm surprised at how many caches we've walked by in the past and had no idea they were there. Geocaching also introduced us to trails nearby that we hadn't known about. Geocaching is a great recommendation for Fitbitters.
Best Answer

I've been looking for fun apps too. One I found which I have not tried yet is bitgym..it gives you virtual paths while you are working out on a regular exercise machine. Has anyone tried it? 

Best Answer

I just started Ingress... so far it's been interesting. It's hard to play when you're a low level and quite frustrating when higher levels destroy your little resonator things... but the more you hack other portals, the more you get stuff and points. 

I've found myself hobbling around (tendonitis currently) in circles, hitting the same portals... of course, they do drain out and you'd have to wait a long time before you get anything again.  But it gets you moving.  I've found a bunch of portals where I work so I get to do a little wandering at lunch this week to see what kind of trouble I can cause 🙂

One thing I don't like is that it drains my battery very quickly.

Best Answer

Im going to try some of these out tomorrow. Just downloaded the virtual walk app for android.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ingress is the perfect combination of gaming and stepping. I am doing a lot more steps juts to get more XM and to reach new portals.
Best Answer

I usually follow a goal to an eatery versus a game. Like I know the healthiest foods to eat at Ruby Tuesdays and I can burn it when I go there and back home. Each way is an hour.

Best Answer

Ingress is a fun game.  I'm a level 8 with the Resistance. I love that game. There aren't too many portals near me and it takes Ingress moderators months to uodate any new portals when you submit them.  I haven't played in a while because I let my cell subscription run out and I have not renewed it.  Thinking I may do that sometime to give me another reason to be out.  I am also a Geocacher with over 700 finds in Indiana alone.

Fitbit Enthusiast
Best Answer
I've tried geocaching and couldn't get into it.

I'm a level 15 on ingress...but I very been pretty lazy lately. I hope to
be back into it soon.
Best Answer

I use Munzee. It's kind of like geocaching but it's mostly virtual. You scan QR codes that are placed by other users for points. It is free or you can upgrade. The idea of placing the codes is to put them anywhere easily reached by someone out walking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I LOVE Zombies, Run!!! I have completed the 5K Training app once, and plan to do it again soon, and I am almost through Season 1 of the "Story Mode" in the app (they are now in their 6th season, with over 20 episodes per season).  As someone previously stated, the storytelling is very compelling, and when the zombie chases start, hearing them in my earbuds definitely gets me moving faster even though I know they aren't really there, lol!!! I also like that there is a "stationary" mode that you can activate, so even if you are doing an activity that doesn't include walking/running, you can still listen to the story without being chased by zombies/logging step information. I really just can't say enough about this app--even on days when I don't really feel motivated to get out and walk/run, knowing that there's a new episode waiting for me to hear ALWAYS gets me out the door!

Best Answer

I have been using the Zombies Run! app since July 2017. Great story line and I really love the virtual races. It would be great to find more Fitbit users who also use this app.

Best Answer

I use Ingress and Pokemon Go. You can get Pokemon Go Plus it is great. 

Pokemon Go 

Pokemon Go Plus

Best Answer