Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaps in heart rate graphs - comments appreciated

I have had heart palpitations / anxiety / panic etc for many years and have seen cardiologists numerous times.  They have never been able to "catch" one of my episodes even though I have worn 24 hr monitors etc. They have seen the palpitations on the monitor and told me not to worry about them.

I am seeing my doctor next week.

So what is happening on my Fitbit that has me concerned?  well a few times in the past few months since I got this new Fitbit when I have felt like something "wasn't right" with my heart I have checked my HR on the Fitbit and somtimes I see "--" in other words the Fitbit cannot get an accurate reading.  I have also had a few other times when I feel totally fine and I check the app and it says HR is "--".

Due to my anxiety I have some fear of exercise because elevating my heart rate feels similar to anxiety / panic.  However I have been trying to do more exercise and have been monitoring what is going on with my HR during exercise. What I often see is gaps in my heart rate graph at certain times during exercise - this is not observable on the regular HR tracing as from what I understand those are 5 minutes averages but I can definitely see these gaps when I go back and enter / add an exercise session during the time I was exercising.  Here is an example from yesterday when I was at the gym 

March 9 4 to 430.pngMarch 9 4 to 430 computer.png

you can see on the photo from the app the gaps are clearly visible - in the picture from my computer the gaps have been made into smooth lines.  I would be interested to hear others comments on this.  I don't think this is something new going on with my heart as I've felt for many many years that something wasn't quite right but I've always been told it is anxiety.  I am going to take these screen shots (and others) to my doctor next week but I would be interested in others comments.  I didn't have any strange symptoms when I was exercising but I'm pretty sure at time my heart rate was higher than what is shown here. 

Also, to be clear I am not looking for a diagnosis I will leave that to the doctors (I am seeing mine next week)  but just wondering if people with SVT, Atrial Fib or other arrythmias have observed this type of thing as well.  If I do have something going on that isn't right I will be thankful for this Fitbit for finally helping me get to the bottom of it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

FWIW, I have no heart problem whatsoever (undergone an extensive checkup with a cardiologist a few years ago) and I do get the ’--’ thing every now and then, on both my Surge and my Charge 2 (I wear both on each hand). I think it’s normal and it’s due to the fact the primary focus of HR-enabled Fitbits is on 24/7 monitoring. From that standpoint, it doesn’t matter much if they are skipping a few minutes every now and then. Since they’re supposed to be worn loose most of the time, it’s quite possible their LED can’t light up your veins properly at times, if your Fitbit is temporarily in a "bad" position.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had that happen to me lately. I too have seen a doctor to palpitations and sinus tachycardia and I noticed the gaps on my fitbit not long after I first visited a doctor or the onset of my symptoms.

So far, my doctors haven't said much about my palps and they told me to get started on cardio again to help with the tachycardia. However, I have been too afraid to get back into exercising since the palpitations started. My anxiety has prevented me even though they keep telling me I'm fine and now my cardiologist is calling me for my next appointment and I haven't stared back on my cardio. EEK! So now I'm like do I schedule or not and admit that I've been a bit afraid to do it?? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@highflyer

It might be scary, but it is best to schedule and admit that you were a bit afraid. A good doctor understands. Otherwise you end up being both afraid to go see a doctor and to work out. I don't feel that is a good road to travel. It might not be easy, but overcoming fears is worth it in the end. I hope you have someone who can go with you for support.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ha, sad thing is I'm already afraid of the doctor, so that doesn't help.
It's a double edged sword.

--
Traci
Best Answer
0 Votes

@livethelife

I have anxiety and my FitBit picks up on that and shows an increased heart rate when it happens. If your heart rate is more irregular (I don't have that happen myself) I think the heart rate will be going up and down in the measurements. When it shows no heart rate it is because your tracker was not in a good position to take a measurement at all. So no need to worry about that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique

Thank you for your response Dominique - I am hoping it is something as simple as the Fitbit being in a bad position - I am seeing my doctor today 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Esya

I hope you are right - I will try to keep this thread up to date as I get more info about what may be going on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@livethelife

I forgot to mention that I also get -- every now and then, but not due to my anxiety. I hope your doctor visit goes well.

Best Answer
0 Votes