What can we do for sedentary type jobs

ANSWERED

Please let me know

Shanda
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Shandy2307, not sure what you want us to let you know.  Many persons have "sedentary" jobs, or "cubicle" jobs, but they frequently get up and move. Walk up the stairs to the bathroom upstairs or downstairs instead of using the closest one. Walking to lunch instead of driving.  Just look around, you "know" what your options are. Just do it!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

@Shandy2307, not sure what you want us to let you know.  Many persons have "sedentary" jobs, or "cubicle" jobs, but they frequently get up and move. Walk up the stairs to the bathroom upstairs or downstairs instead of using the closest one. Walking to lunch instead of driving.  Just look around, you "know" what your options are. Just do it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Do what you can to get up and move around.

A short walk at lunch perhaps. Taking the stairs instead of an elevator,

if that is the case. A walk to the water cooler just to stretch your legs.

A lot of little things that can help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, if your job is to sit in front of a computer (there are millions of us), there are only so many steps you can get during your working hours using the usual tricks (parking far away from the main door, printing to a remote printer, taking the stairs instead of the elevator etc.). These "tricks" will mostly work for getting your 250 steps/hour (if you have a Fitbit with the Reminder to move feature), but they won’t get you your 10k steps (or more). If you want to get your 10k steps, you’ll have to take a critical look at your activities outside your working hours. Let’s say you have a 9-to-5 job and you’re going to bed at 11pm: this leaves 6 hours that you could use. Maybe part of it will be needed for commuting, but you should be able to dedicate at least 1 hour to some kind of physical activity, whether it’s going to the gym, walking etc. How much time do you spend in front of your TV, or your home computer (Facebook etc.)? Could you reduce some of that time and use it for physical activities? If you like reading, could you switch to audio books instead of sitting on an armchair? Instead of grabbing food at a fastfood joint, could you go to a grocery store (= more steps while shopping), buy some fresh ingredients (veggies etc.) and prepare meals from them (= more time standing in the kitchen, won’t get that many extra steps, but always better than crashing on your couch or sitting in front of your computer)?  

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a cubicle job that is attached to the phone.  The state says I have 2 15 minute breaks plus a 30 minute lunch during an 8 hour shift.  I do the normal tricks - walk the longest route, put a drink in the microwave, sit back at my desk and then walk the longest way to get it.  I walk to the furthest copiers, when I use the restroom, I take the stairs to the one on the other floor and then walk around the building to get back in.  

The hardest is to do the 2 15 minute breaks.  It's not in my job culture so it looks like slacking off.  So I have to set a timer and just do it.  I can walk almost mile in 15 minutes in work shoes so I just do it.  I also eat lunch at my desk so I can take the full 30 for another walk.

I walk before work and when I can I walk after work.  I make sure to get an hour a day of walking.

When I'm at my desk, I also do desk stretches I learned from youtube.  I try to do those every hour or so. I park close to the building, there have been too many robberies and stolen cars and the structure is pretty dark.  But in open areas, I do park further away.  If I have to see someone a couple cubes over, I walk a giant lap to get to them instead of the 10 feet.  Steal a little motion, walk to the corner to mail a letter instead of putting in the outbox, check the mailroom instead of waiting for the assistant to pick it up.  Even if there is nothing in the box it is still checking it.  All these tricks add steps but not real exercise.  I do think every bit helps though!  Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes