Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My flex registered steps while I was hula hooping...

ANSWERED

I was surprised- I just hadn't expected it to do so.  What are your thoughts?  Is hula hooping active enough to count as 'steps' or was I inadvertently cheating??

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@becurtis wrote:
Wendy-
I wear my Flex clipped through a belt loop so it was definitely measuring movement of my lower body. I was just surprised that it was enough movement to register steps. It got me wondering about hula hooping.....anyone know if it is decent exercise?

Decent is in the mind of the performer.

While it isn't a big calorie burn for the time involved - the mental release and fun and bringing joy to others sometimes helps more than calorie burn.

If you want more joy to you and others tomorrow (today), skip around the neighborhood like when you were a kid. That'll bring smiles to you and everyone that sees you.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxjb21wZW5kaXVtb2ZwaHlzaWNhbGFjd...

Has a MET value in the list under Hula as 4.5.

So take your BMR x 4.5 for rough value.

That's not too bad actually, tad better than walking 3.5 mph, if you can keep it up for as long.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

You were probably moving your arms

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes
Wendy-
I wear my Flex clipped through a belt loop so it was definitely measuring movement of my lower body. I was just surprised that it was enough movement to register steps. It got me wondering about hula hooping.....anyone know if it is decent exercise?
Best Answer
0 Votes

My one counts steps when I hoop. I think it is fine, I haven't had any issues with inflated calorie burn or anything from it.

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@becurtis wrote:
Wendy-

Decent is in the mind of the performer.

While it isn't a big calorie burn for the time involved - the mental release and fun and bringing joy to others sometimes helps more than calorie burn.

If you want more joy to you and others tomorrow (today), skip around the neighborhood like when you were a kid. That'll bring smiles to you and everyone that sees you.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxjb21wZW5kaXVtb2ZwaHlzaWNhbGFjd...

Has a MET value in the list under Hula as 4.5.

So take your BMR x 4.5 for rough value.

That's not too bad actually, tad better than walking 3.5 mph, if you can keep it up for as long.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a weighted fitness hula hoop.  I can definitely tell the difference when I use it.  And I can tell the difference when I don't.  My abs and entire core is just a lot tighter and toned when I add the hula hoop to my fitness routine.  I have a Flex which I wear on my wrist so it doesn't register - but I would be afraid of crushing it with the weight of the hula hoop if I put it any place else.  The important thing to me is that I know that I am out there doing it and that I feel better after having gotta that extra activity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think just standing there hula hooping isn't that big of a workout, but if you've got music going and you're learning new moves, then it's a great workout. I went to a hoop fest once, and I was sore for days afterwards!

Best Answer

Hooping is wonderful excersize! 30 minutes of intense hooping burns about 210 calories. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I only manage 5 minutes each way at the moment and don't feel as though it is a such a hard workout but my legs and hips know about it the next day so it must be doing more that I can tell at the time.  

Best Answer
0 Votes