Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get fit

Hello!

I am looking for advice or tips on how to get up and get moving! I go to the gym about 3 days out the week and i stay for an 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours, i just seem to get bored. Can anyone give me any advice or challenge me with their workout routine. i have a goal to loose 45lbs by next July. i need to start like yesterday!

🙂

-Veronica
Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

My new favorite thing is the rowing machine, also called the ergometer. It's kind of a geeky workout, because there are so many aspects of rowing performance you could work on, and it burns a lot of calories. Plus, unlike some other cardio, the FitBit gives you steps for it. I've been doing this training regimen I found online:

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

I also really love spin classes, and I'm slowly trying to ease into the Couch to 5K thing on the treadmill. 

I found that the big difference between working out before the FitBit and working out afterward is that I do a lot more cardio and am motivated to go more frequently. Also, I walk to the gym more. I used to ride my bike, but I realized that I can get more of my steps done if I walk there. It's that moseying around the neighborhood that has had the biggest impact on my weight. My usual practice is to take a walk at night after dinner and make up whatever steps I haven't done, especially if I did a spin class. Those burn a lot of calories, but they don't give you many "steps." 

If you're like me, and it sounds like you are, you might not lose weight just from working out really hard. You might already be in awesome cardiovascular shape, and losing weight is going to require tricking your body into believing that you aren't sedentary every minute you aren't jumping around like a maniac... which I was. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

welcome! stay less work harder. I used to be at the gym for an hour and a half everyday. Until I realized if I increase the intensity of my workout, I don't have to stay as long. I have a different routine for every day of the week. Friday is rest day. On the weekends I tend to eat and drink more so Sat and Sun are heavy cardio. I will run  the whole time- with quarter mile walks every 4 miles. Monday I carry weights while doing the elliptical and then I box. Tuesday I run 3 miles and its leg day. Wed elliptical with weights and core. Thurs run 3 miles and arms. This way I don't get bored and I strength train along with cardio to ensure both calorie burn and no loss of muscle. I almost never stay past an hour. Good luck!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi. I'm not even at running 3 miles yet. I just hit my 2 miles in 17 mins. Im way out of shape , just trying to get my running down as well tone. Also, do you have any advice in running longer outside than on a treadmill?
-Veronica
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the link. I will download it. 🙂

-Veronica
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a big fan of structured workouts for everything else, so I've been doing this one: 

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

There are other methods though, like this one: 

http://www.active.com/running/articles/jeff-galloway-s-run-walk-run-training-plan

The exercise that's most likely to get you fit is the one you actually do. Try things to see which thing you like. 

Best Answer

Thank you. I will most def look into this! 🙂

-Veronica
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Veronica, you actually shouldn't be running three miles yet if you are starting out. Try this outside...I imagine you listen to music while you run, but even if you don't run for a song or three minutes on a stop watch, run as fast as you can for the whole song. Then walk fast or slow jog to the next one. Run -walk-run- walk for a total of  6 songs which is roughly 18 minutes. Be sure to stretch before and after. Then do some arm movements with 5 pound weights. You can look up arm exercises on line or on pintrest. choose one that has lots of movements and do half of them each session. do 25 jumping jacks, do some squats or wall sits. Do movement for about an hour. mix it up a little each day- do your toning first then run. find a bunch of movements so you have many to choose from. But go strong for an hour- no more. Take one day as your rest day- rest day is a walk, a stretch, house cleaning, activity that keeps you mobile but doesn't require a lot of effort. Do this for a month and then up it. Run two songs- walk one- increase the weight to 10- start planking, etc. Good luck- holler if you need anything- happy to help

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes