Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting credit for activity

I did the barre class for an hour - and it only records 10 activity minutes!!  How do I get 'credit' for this?

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

I have no personal experience with barre, but I read the following from the Wikipedia article on it:

"barre classes [are not] as effective as traditional aerobics classes at building cardio-vascular fitness, typically only raising heart rates to 40–50% of maximum. In terms of energy output, barre typically does not burn many calories and its energy demands more closely resemble walking than running."

Fitbit active minutes require the activity being detected is continuous (for at least 10 minutes) and intense enough. My guess is Fitbit fails to detect it properly, as it’s relatively stationary and your HR isn’t sufficiently elevated.

If you have a Fitbit that can log activities on the tracker itself (e.g. Charge 2/3, Ionic, Versa, Blaze), try to record your classes as "Workout", "Yoga" or "Pilates". The idea is this will provide your tracker additional clues about what you are doing. Experiment with each of these and see which would give the most realistic rendition of your effort.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@OrangMamaThis post from yesterday will help you quantify your effort.. It gives you are 1 minute graph of your calories expended and you can see where your loss of the 10 minute continuous rule applies.

You need a minimum of 3 times your BMR/minute and you can calculate this from this link which uses the same equations that Fitbit uses.  Divide the answer by 1,440 minutes in a day for your per minute result.

Occasionally with an activity like you describe, if you divide the resulting calories by your BMR answer it gives you an average and might show the Active minutes that way. Some Fitbitters create a manual activity over the time period and that gives them the extra active minutes.  But, that won't be included in any challenges etc if steps are involved.

@OrangMama wrote:

I did the barre class for an hour - and it only records 10 activity minutes!!  How do I get 'credit' for this?

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

@OrangMama.. i think you may have your answer between @Dominique and @Colinm39, please consider marking the reply that helped you the most as a solution.... this way others with a similar question can have the solution... thank you!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer