Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting out of bed

ANSWERED

Getting out of bed to get moving is a struggle sometimes, especially if the weather is bad and has an effect on your mood. The weather is finally starting to get better here in Michigan, and I can't wait to get outside and enjoy nature again! Sometimes, if I don't feel like going to the gym and the weather is cold, I like to play around on my Simply Fit Board at home while I follow a DVD, YouTube video or just blast some inspiring tunes and wing it. I found dancing around the house can be fun while I'm trying to get things done, like laundry, vacuuming, etc. I like to refer to the scene from Ms. Doubtfire, where Robin Williams is cleaning the house to "Do Just Like a Lady." Lol. I'll just shake it when no one is around if I feel I have no time for a structured workout. I also tried a place nearby called "Airtime" where the entire place is basically a trampoline where you have to continuously jump around. You can play dodgeball, basketball, even jump in these huge soft blocks. A lot of fun with a group of people. My clothes were soaking wet and I probably stayed in the shower for at least an hour! Lol. I just like to be creative about exercise so it doesn't seem like a chore. I want to look forward to it when I need more inspiration. What would be a fun way for you to get moving when you are struggling to get that workout in?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If there was a law against long sleep I would be guilty as hell 😉 Now I'm trying to build the habit based on the new morning routine. The problem in my case is that I live near my office ( 6 minutes walk ), my working time is quite flexible, so I'm not really constrained by the clock ( at least up to a certain degree ). Then I found incredibly difficult to get out of bed and do anything. Moreover, sometimes I did get up as my wife wakes up early if she's working a morning shift in the hospital. But after she left I went back to bed to sleep 2-3 hours longer. The worst is when my wife works an afternoon shift - for me no reason to get up early. Weekends? Now I understand why the term "Sunday brunch" exists 😄

Wasting the daylight is the least of problems though. What convinced me to turn things around was how I was feeling after sleeping more than I needed. Being grumpy, feeling like a zombie, couldn't focus and on top of that a headache as if I was drinking all night long and woke up with a hangover. These symptoms could be the lasting whole day. I wrecked plenty of weekends this way. Wasted time, wasted energy that could be used some other way.

The answer for me is a morning routine, but it starts always on the night before:

Night before:

- Prepare gym bag

- Prepare everything I will need to make fresh breakfast

- Prepare breakfast ( means soaking oats in the milk overnight, nothing fancy )

Morning:

- Wake up and get up instantly ( no snooze! )

- Cook breakfast and pack it into a thermos

- Follow checklist ( I have a checklist of 27 items so no stress that I'm going to forget anything 🙂 and I still add items occasionally )

- Leave

- Gym 1hr

- Coffee, breakfast & book to cool down after gym

- Work

- Rest of day 😄

If my wife doesn't work early shift then the plan is it takes no longer than 30 minutes. Otherwise, I may get too lazy and find myself going back to bed 😄

You may notice that despite I mentioned I leave near my workplace ( and gym - all walking distance )  I do stuff like taking breakfast with me and not coming back home after. I try to spend as little time at home as possible in the morning. The longer I stay, the more comfortable I feel and I laziness may dawn on me 🙂 It happened in the past.

And so on, and on :D, For now, it works quite well for me. Days seem to be longer thanks to that 🙂 I really recommend to keep tracking items to do using checklists ( like Google Keep app on the phone ). My morning would turn into chaos if I didn't track everything. And finally, find your rhythm 🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

@SunsetRunnerwrote:

I also tried a place nearby called "Airtime" where the entire place is basically a trampoline where you have to continuously jump around. You can play dodgeball, basketball, even jump in these huge soft blocks.  This sounds so fun!

I dont have trouble getting what I do in. Its habit to me now. Its not as cold here as where you are but I go walking in the rain unless it really windy and blowing in my face. We also dont get snow and that would probably stop me as well.

But you have found some creative and fun ways to get it in! So good for you!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
That is great that you make it a habit, something I need to work on. 😋 It
is a gorgeous sunny day so I may go for a walk around my neighborhood or
head to the gym, maybe both! It is always a good idea to try something new
and give yourself a chance to move in different ways. Of course I wish my
apartment complex allowed dogs, I could be walking one right now, that's
good motivation haha. Anyway, take care of yourself and keep on keeping on
Wendy! Thank you for responding to my post. 😊😊😊
Best Answer
0 Votes

If there was a law against long sleep I would be guilty as hell 😉 Now I'm trying to build the habit based on the new morning routine. The problem in my case is that I live near my office ( 6 minutes walk ), my working time is quite flexible, so I'm not really constrained by the clock ( at least up to a certain degree ). Then I found incredibly difficult to get out of bed and do anything. Moreover, sometimes I did get up as my wife wakes up early if she's working a morning shift in the hospital. But after she left I went back to bed to sleep 2-3 hours longer. The worst is when my wife works an afternoon shift - for me no reason to get up early. Weekends? Now I understand why the term "Sunday brunch" exists 😄

Wasting the daylight is the least of problems though. What convinced me to turn things around was how I was feeling after sleeping more than I needed. Being grumpy, feeling like a zombie, couldn't focus and on top of that a headache as if I was drinking all night long and woke up with a hangover. These symptoms could be the lasting whole day. I wrecked plenty of weekends this way. Wasted time, wasted energy that could be used some other way.

The answer for me is a morning routine, but it starts always on the night before:

Night before:

- Prepare gym bag

- Prepare everything I will need to make fresh breakfast

- Prepare breakfast ( means soaking oats in the milk overnight, nothing fancy )

Morning:

- Wake up and get up instantly ( no snooze! )

- Cook breakfast and pack it into a thermos

- Follow checklist ( I have a checklist of 27 items so no stress that I'm going to forget anything 🙂 and I still add items occasionally )

- Leave

- Gym 1hr

- Coffee, breakfast & book to cool down after gym

- Work

- Rest of day 😄

If my wife doesn't work early shift then the plan is it takes no longer than 30 minutes. Otherwise, I may get too lazy and find myself going back to bed 😄

You may notice that despite I mentioned I leave near my workplace ( and gym - all walking distance )  I do stuff like taking breakfast with me and not coming back home after. I try to spend as little time at home as possible in the morning. The longer I stay, the more comfortable I feel and I laziness may dawn on me 🙂 It happened in the past.

And so on, and on :D, For now, it works quite well for me. Days seem to be longer thanks to that 🙂 I really recommend to keep tracking items to do using checklists ( like Google Keep app on the phone ). My morning would turn into chaos if I didn't track everything. And finally, find your rhythm 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

1. Find a sport or rec activity you enjoy.

2. Read up on how to improve yourself in that activity

3. Add it to your workout routine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The trampoline is an awesome activity. I have taken my son and they actually post calorie burn in 15 minute increments for an average weight. He too comes out soaked and laughing.

I have been moving as a habit for 4 years now. Within the last year I have added an early morning walk with my pup, now two pups. We walk no matter what the weather is. I am pretty sure they and the neighbors think I am a nut, but getting a lung full of fresh air first thing in the morning is the wake up I need (followed by a bucket of coffee). We are in the midst of our third nor'easter and we took our walk this morning as usual.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm also in Michigan! And I feel you ... it's tough to get moving when the weather sucks. Spring is right around the corner!

Best Answer