Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started: How do everyday people fit 10K steps into their lives?

ANSWERED

My question is, how do regular people leading regular lives but with basically stationary jobs get to 10K a day without making some huge effort? Is it possible?

I'm new here; 2 weeks on FitBit. I used to think that 10K a day would be impossible without some time set aside for exercise. I live an urban lifestyle in a major city in Japan, so I get 600 steps between my apartment and the subway, etc. My basic day of getting to work, waking around at work, and getting home is 5K. So, to get to 10K, I do thinks like walk down the stairs instead of elevator, or take a few extra walks here and there. Walking to the bar or restaurant, I might go four blocks out of the way to add the steps. End of the day, walk a few extra blocks on the way home, and I get the 10K. Rainy days, I do 20 minutes on the treadmill while watching TV.

On days off, I used to sometimes have miserable step counts (small apartment, delivery food), but now, I'll walk to the beach, have lunch, walk back (5.5K), then basically extend my regular routine walks. Instead of the bike, I'll walk. I might get off the subway one stop early, and add 1 km to the walk for the day.

But I can't imagine how I would get this done if I live like I used to in the suburbs: House, get in the car at the driveway, drive somewhere, etc. Walk somewhere in the suburbs of the USA without exercise clothes on, and people who know you slow down, "Want a ride?" Walk home from the bar, people think you have a DUI preventing you from driving.

I'm just curious, and also wondering what I'll do when I return to the US for the holidays.

Best Answer
0 Votes
24 REPLIES 24

@USAF-Larry Your comments reminded me of the third novel in the Last Picture Show trilogy (Larry McMurtry). The adult daughter sees her older father (Duane) walking down the road, and tells the family about it. No one believes her. Her mother (Duane's wife) says, "Then oil prices must have really tanked, or else somebody's died. There'd be no other reason why Duane would get out of his pickup and go walking down a road. What does he think he's doing, scaring us this way?" Smiley LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AndyDandyPandy I've done the treadmill while watching TV. I think I'll be doing more of it when winter comes. Do you watch TV while on the treadmill?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner That's a great idea. Moving is better than sitting even if you're just walking at a slow pace. My treadmil is outside for some odd reasons so all I see is just a brick wall. I don't watch TV anyways. But what I'd do if my treadmil was in front of a tv is steadily walk during your show is on and start jogging/running during commercials.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I live in a city and commute by bus, so there are steps built in there, even if my apartment building is close to the stop. When I'm transferring buses, I set it up for a longer walk to get in more steps. At work, I make a point to get up at least twice an hour to walk around the floor of my building. That gets me roughly 250 steps an hour.

In the morning, I do a 15-minute walking video. I get up a bit earlier so I have time to do it before I get ready for work. I live near a park so if the weather is nice enough, I can walk outside in the evenings. This will not be an option in the wintertime, and not just because it's cold.  If the weather doesn't permit, my building has a fitness center, and I can use the treadmilll. I've even walked the halls of my apartment building to get in some steps.

Because I don't have a car, I walk and transit almost everywhere, which helps me get steps in.

Best Answer

I started taking the train to work instead of the subway and streetcar. This means I have a 15-minute walk from the train station to work every morning and another one to get back at the end of the day. This is usually enough to get me to about 8K by the time I get home.

For the other 2K, if I don't have errands after work, I have to go for a walk or go to the gym.

Best Answer
0 Votes