Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half Marathon Recovery

I ran a half marathon over the weekend and am working on my schedule for recovery and starting to exercise again.  It's been two days since the race and tomorrow I'm planning on encorporating some yoga into my day.  

What are your favorite ways to begin exercising again after a big race?

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@amanda_taylor wrote:

I ran a half marathon over the weekend and am working on my schedule for recovery and starting to exercise again.  It's been two days since the race and tomorrow I'm planning on encorporating some yoga into my day.  

What are your favorite ways to begin exercising again after a big race?

Congratulations on your half!  🙂

Funny thing, the biggest "race" I run each year is the annual "Reach-the-Beach" relay (a 200+ mile relay from the mountains of New Hampshire down to Hampton Beach), an event which, for most folks, starts on Friday morning and ends on Saturday evening.  As fortune would have it Sunday morning of the same weekend typically features a popular 5K called "Halfway to St. Patrick's Day" (run in a kilt); and as stiff and sore as most of the RTB competitors are, we drag our sorry butts out of bed and attend the race (and drink a free beer after).

I have to say, even though the first mile of that 5K is a tad painful, by the time we're done we're walking better and ready to carry on with our training.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

After a HM, I might do a little walking the day after. But after that, I start running each day for the rest of the week, just going slowly according to how I feel, and begining with short runs. I'm usually back into my regular exercise program the week after that. I use the taper week and the post-race week as recovery weeks, running approximately half my average mileage during those two weeks.

The only time that varied is when I ran - not raced - 4 HMs on consecutive weekends in Oct. 2012, and followed those up the next weekend with a 10K race (Google "Half Fanatics" for the reason). During that time, I only did an easy run each Wed. between races.

Best Answer
0 Votes