Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Fit vs. Get moving

Is Fitbit only for those at the stage of trying to get moving? Many have moved into the fitness phase and would enjoy a place to post.

Best Answer
0 Votes
26 REPLIES 26

What you're seeing @GershonSurge is merely a name change of this forum area, nothing more. You can read more about it here - click

Keep on stepping!

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

Everything stays the same except for the names.

coollogo_com-18803402.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Odyssey13 wrote:

What you're seeing @GershonSurge is merely a name change of this forum area, nothing more. You can read more about it here - click

Keep on stepping!

We wanted to fill you in on a change on the Discussions side of the forum: New board names, and new board descriptions! The names have been updated as follows, to help guide conversation in those spaces:

According to Fitbit's own words, they want to guide our conversation away from actually getting fit to just getting moving. Getting moving is only the first step. 

Now that I think about it, maybe the discussions are supposed to be about relieving constipation. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

As Shakespeare said so well in Romeo and Juliet:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

There are all levels of members in this Community, from entry level walker to the "Feel the burn" fitness guru, so Get Moving is probably a good name for the discussions. It is What's in a name...

Best Answer

@GershonSurge shouldn't be a problem with a name change. People often post help questions in a variety of places, including the wrong forums. People will post and others will reply and share, which is what a forum is all about.

For many "Get Fit" might be more intimidating than "Get Moving" and these forums have people with physical challenges as well as those who participate in full marathons. We don't all begin at the same starting point.

As for constipation, maybe the best place for that would be the "Eat Well" section?

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
Drink enough water to 🤗
Best Answer
0 Votes

I suppose it doesn't really matter. Mentally, I'll call it the constipation forum. After all, "What's in a name?" 🙂

Moderator edit: word choice. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Odyssey13 wrote:

For many "Get Fit" might be more intimidating than "Get Moving" and these forums have people with physical challenges as well as those who participate in full marathons. We don't all begin at the same starting point.

I do find there is a big difference between the two groups.  Some of the more fit members often give the impression that if we're not doing X or Y that we should just suck it up and do it.  Being more fit is the ultimate goal, but like weightloss we all go forward at our own pace,

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

@A_Lurker wrote:

@Odyssey13 wrote:

I do find there is a big difference between the two groups.  Some of the more fit members often give the impression that if we're not doing X or Y that we should just suck it up and do it.  Being more fit is the ultimate goal, but like weightloss we all go forward at our own pace,

A_Lurker,

I feel like the forums are now totally tilted towards those who are in the early stages of working their way back to fitness. Can those who are fit even post about getting fitter without making someone feel bad? If not, then where should they post? If the answer is to go to a body building forum or a running forum, then why are all the people in Fitbit's advertising fit? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think there is room for everyone, @GershonSurge, from the very newest Fitbiter to the most advanced. Members will select threads they want to follow, and ignore those that don't interest them.   The description of this forum sums it up pretty well, "How will you find your fit today? Discover workout ideas and share your progress."

If you are more advanced in your fitness journey, join the discussions with other members that are also advanced.  Others, like myself, that are more interested in health and wellbeing will join other discussions along those lines. And, yet others that are just beginners will seek discussions about how they can get started on their journey.

I think @A_Lurker's point was that sometimes, not often, but sometimes, the more advanced fitness people tend to overwhelm the newcomers with their dissertations on diet & exercise.

Best Answer

I agree with the others. Just because the name changed it doesn't mean not getting Fit.

The forum is for everyone. Does not mean you cant talk about being fit. They all work together.

I totally agree with this

I think @A_Lurker's point was that sometimes, not often, but sometimes, the more advanced fitness people tend to overwhelm the newcomers with their dissertations on diet & exercise.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@WendyB wrote:

I agree with the others. Just because the name changed it doesn't mean not getting Fit.

The forum is for everyone. Does not mean you cant talk about being fit. They all work together.

ItI think @A_Lurker's point was that sometimes, not often, but sometimes, the more advanced fitness people tend to overwhelm the newcomers with their dissertations on diet & exercise.

Agreeing totally with WB on this one .  No one has the answer that works for everyone and the best we can hope for is to figure out what works for us and then actually do it .  

Best Answer

@GershonSurge - to some extent I agree with you.  My original point was that they are two different groups. I think you want the name to change back, my thought is perhaps the forums should be separate. As a community the idea is to support others and exchange thoughts.  The get fit group can be dimissive of someone in the early stages.  I personally don't take offense, but imagine that you've just hit 10,000 steps** for the first time and then reading that you should be doing:  fill in the blank (I don't want to use examples as others may be upset that I've used their posts).

**I used the 10,000 steps as an example as it isn't always a goal I hit, or even strive for.  I use calories burned and active minutes more as my indicator of my own personal goals.

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

@A_Lurker,

In my mind, "Getting Fit" would be a better title as it would encompass the whole spectrum. "Getting" instead of "Get" would more clearly indicate an ongoing process.

I have also started focusing on calories burned a day, and you are beating me there.

Let's use your 10,000 step example. About half the Fitbitters get less than about 6,800 steps a day. About two-thirds get less than 10,000. Ten thousand steps a day is cause for celebration as it indicates the person may be overcoming the effects of sedentary physiology.

In your example, the person did not post about their success, which is cause for celebration.

Suppose they come in and see a post of mine about Ken Cooper's work with Aerobics that sets a higher standard to achieve cardio-vascular fitness. If a person is a walker, it requires about 10,000 steps a day of dedicated walking (5 miles) to reach minimum standards. This is in addition to normal lifestyle steps. As you suggest, they may feel deflated, but there is another option. They can share and celebrate their victory and resolve to take the next steps in whatever direction they choose.

Suppose they come in and read a post about resistance training being necessary. Well, that's another step to put on the list for when they are ready.

The fitness requirements for health and longevity are quite low, and there is good research to support this. As Ken Cooper says in his books on Aerobics -- Those who go beyond these levels are doing so for reasons other than health. 

In my opinion, there shouldn't be any value judgment placed on people who pursue or don't pursue a given level of fitness. Everyone has different circumstances and different passions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote:

I have also started focusing on calories burned a day, and you are beating me there.

If nothing else that's my long-term goal (aside from weight-loss).  Fitbit gives me a goal, but I try to hit 3500 a day (my Fitbit set goal is 3176 its my absolute min).  As I lose weight I want to try keeping that up (knowing it may not be possible), but it's a more meaningful goal for me.

@GershonSurge - (you wrote) Suppose they come in and see a post of mine about Ken Cooper's work with Aerobics that sets a higher standard to achieve cardio-vascular fitness. If a person is a walker, it requires about 10,000 steps a day of dedicated walking (5 miles) to reach minimum standards. This is in addition to normal lifestyle steps. As you suggest, they may feel deflated, but there is another option. They can share and celebrate their victory and resolve to take the next steps in whatever direction they choose.

Agreed - it may motivate some, but I kind of feel in our 'quick results' world there are way more people discouraged by it.  Don't know.  I could be completely full of &*@#.  My personal opinion is that the show The Biggest Loser is perhaps the worst thing that could have been put on the air.  Those of us who haven't lost all of our weight in that speed** are perceived as not trying hard enough.  It would be nice if we lived in a judgement free world, but that just doesn't happen.  I say that as someone who has lost over 100 pounds, eats better than most people I know (IRL) and yet still gets judged on her current size.

** Interesting, not really related point, only my reference to The Biggest Loser reminded me - I was in a challenge at work where I think I ended up around 4th or 5th (ie. not in the top 3).  I suggested we continue it for another 3 months, but eventually the decision was made that we would chip into a pot for who maintained, or was lower at the start of September.  Those who gained weight back would pay out to those who hadn't.  One of them mentioned it the other day and #2 and #3 are up from their last weigh in.  Only the top weight loser has managed to keep it off, but I don't know if he's continuing at the pace he was (hey, he dropped ~17% of his bodyweight in 3 months).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@A_Lurker wrote:

@GershonSurge wrote:

If nothing else that's my long-term goal (aside from weight-loss).  Fitbit gives me a goal, but I try to hit 3500 a day (my Fitbit set goal is 3176 its my absolute min).  As I lose weight I want to try keeping that up (knowing it may not be possible), but it's a more meaningful goal for me.

@GershonSurge - (you wrote) Suppose they come in and see a post of mine about Ken Cooper's work with Aerobics that sets a higher standard to achieve cardio-vascular fitness. If a person is a walker, it requires about 10,000 steps a day of dedicated walking (5 miles) to reach minimum standards. This is in addition to normal lifestyle steps. As you suggest, they may feel deflated, but there is another option. They can share and celebrate their victory and resolve to take the next steps in whatever direction they choose.

Agreed - it may motivate some, but I kind of feel in our 'quick results' world there are way more people discouraged by it.  Don't know.  I could be completely full of &*@#.  My personal opinion is that the show The Biggest Loser is perhaps the worst thing that could have been put on the air.  Those of us who haven't lost all of our weight in that speed** are perceived as not trying hard enough.  It would be nice if we lived in a judgement free world, but that just doesn't happen.  I say that as someone who has lost over 100 pounds, eats better than most people I know (IRL) and yet still gets judged on her current size.

** Interesting, not really related point, only my reference to The Biggest Loser reminded me - I was in a challenge at work where I think I ended up around 4th or 5th (ie. not in the top 3).  I suggested we continue it for another 3 months, but eventually the decision was made that we would chip into a pot for who maintained, or was lower at the start of September.  Those who gained weight back would pay out to those who hadn't.  One of them mentioned it the other day and #2 and #3 are up from their last weigh in.  Only the top weight loser has managed to keep it off, but I don't know if he's continuing at the pace he was (hey, he dropped ~17% of his bodyweight in 3 months).

Hey Lurker !!!!!  
Although weight loss isn't a personal goal of mine I totally agree that "the biggest looser"( the name of the show says it all) is nothing more than a total scam that ranks up there with all the miracle excercise machines that will change your life, give you a new body and put you in a shiny new Porsche .  (ummmmm if I get a new Porsche I might try it, actually just sign me up 😉    
btw ... 3500 a day is pretty impressive from where i sit  as is the weight loss, no doubt here that you'll get to where you want to go .

Hi Gershon Surge 🙂 
I agree with the standards you mention for c-v fitness but  as my cardiologist said in the last visit , 10000 steps is ok but i want to make sure you're not just taking an easy stroll ... i.e. - get the pulse rate up in the cardio zone for at least 30 minutes of cardio every day (30 minutes in a row) .   (i had a few printouts from some recent walks knowing he would say that lol) .  Resistance excercises ... agreed they are important but only as part of a routine that includes wieghts, some core excercises, cable machines are usefull, at least 30 minutes of cardio and lets not forget push ups ... those do way to much good to ignore .  btw if you relate c-v fitness to pulse rate during a work out all of the above can make a significant contribution to the cause .  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge wrote:

Is Fitbit only for those at the stage of trying to get moving? Many have moved into the fitness phase and would enjoy a place to post.

Since making this statement, I read the book "Get Up! Why your Chair is Killilng you and What you can do about it" by Dr. James Levine. At the time he did his research, measuring a person's activity was difficult as Fitbit did not exist. Later on, he discovered and mentioned Fitbit. He likely collaberated with Fitbit along the way.

He discovered that a person's weight given equal diets and no exercise was dependent on their "Non- Exercise Activity Thermogenises." This is activity that is formal exercise.  He did a well designed experiment where every calorie eaten and excreted was measured and he fed everyone 1,000 calories over the amount that maintained their weight in the first phase of the experiment. Some people gained all the weight from the extra calories and some gained none. The difference was in how much time they spent out of a chair.

In the simplest form, all a person has to do to lose weight is limit their intake to their BMR and burn 1,000 calores extra through Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenisis (moving). If they do this, they will come close enough to meeting exercise requirements for a healthy body. (I underlined exercise as there are other dietary considerations.)

Now, I think "Get Moving" is a great title.

Best Answer

@GershonSurge wrote:

Now, I think "Get Moving" is a great title.

Welcome to the crowd, @GershonSurgeSmiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge - I really do credit a lot of my recent weight loss with just moving around more.  I do swim most days, but although recently I started counting laps and doing some real swimming, it's not a true cardio workout.  I'm still not back to my past lifting routine, where I would really go at it three days a week.  Only one rainy weekend have I used the treadmill.  And except for a couple of business trips where I walked because I was stuck inside all day at meetings, I don't go out for walks.  I do try and walk as quickly as possible to raise my heart rate.  Today my day was odd... 2500 steps in the first hour or so, sit in a meeting for two hours, 1000 steps, three hours of meetings, maybe 2000 more steps before I left the plant.  Once home I did a couple of circuits of the basement (~200 steps), swam, watered some plants, cooked dinner, read most of the end of the book I'm reading, and I'm just under 8000 steps.  Since I'm not super tired or sore I will likely push up to 10,000 before bed.  Just over 3150 calories burned with 66 active minutes.  I managed to get into the peak zone for 4 mins with my running around today, yet during those meetings my heart rate went back into the high 50s.  So, I do put a lot of credit of my weight loss to a combination of NEAT and just counting calories.

I do look at my mother in years past.  She burned a huge number of calories and didn't gain weight.  She was always going back and forth getting things, up and down the stairs.  I look at my own natural tendencies and see the difference.  If I have something to go upstairs I'm more likely to leave it at the bottom of the stairs and take it later.  If I'm moving something from point A to point B I'm more likely to carry as much as I can and make fewer trips.  She was the opposite.  Of course, to some extent, this lowered her efficiency on some tasks.  Where I would go out to, say, weed a section of the garden, here's the difference (I'm a planner, she's less organized):

Me: think about and collect all the things I will need.  Toss them into one bucket, take another one for weeds.  Weed the area, tie up what needs, return both to the shed.

Her:  Take the bucket to the place she's going to weed.  Go back for a tool, continue, go back for another tool.  Pass something that needs tieing up, go back for the string.  Oops, forgot a cane to tie it too, go back for that.  Tie up the item, continue weeding.  This is a good day, so she's done... bring the bucket of weeds back and then go collect her tools.  There's a good chance they're not together so this will take more than one trip.

Now, I got more accomplished, but even though she was probably a third of my weight she likely burned more calories.  I try to balance moving a little more without becoming completely inefficient.  Woman Very Happy

I also remember that lots of working out and too little food is likely how I dieted myself into not one, but two serious illnesses.

Best Answer