Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Rate Accuracy

I just got a chest strap monitor, and the difference in heart rate on my regular ride was alarming ! I tested this over a few days, to eliminate any anomalies. In general, my Charge 3 is around 30-35 BPM lower than the chest strap both in average, and for the max! I always knew that a chest strap would be more accurate, but I thought the difference would be far less significant. They are generally within 5 BPM at rest, so it seems to get progressively less accurate. This makes it a bad idea for staying in safe/targeted heart rate zones. I am curious as to whether others have found this kind of a difference or I have an issue with my Charge 3. I am following the guidelines for wrist placement.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Like moving it up the arm possibly if readings are off?

Some people just have accuracy issues, some cut off when it reaches a certain point and no more readings, some don't really read over a certain point and just keep showing that number.

Yours is the first one I think I've heard where it did go up it just was always lower, or maybe it did reach a max.

Hard to know if malfunction in those cases, or your arm is a poor read.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the response. The graph has always been good, showing ups and downs where you would expect them over the course of the workout. I have never had it max out or stop reading. I tried the other wrist during the 3 days and got the same results, but I have not tried making it tighter to the wrist, or moving it up. I would prolly need a wristband to keep it higher up. I would never have questioned it until now...

Best Answer
0 Votes

how are you making the comparison? are you looking at both numbers in real time? or are you looking at the data after? I am curious because when I look at my HR in real time, the display number is sometimes off from where I know I should be. but when I look at the graph after, it is what I would expect it to be. I have zero explanation for why it happens, but it happens enough for me to have noticed. I also will sometimes take off my fitbit and hold it for two minutes to "reset" the HR when I put it back on. This usually clears up bad readings. just recently I was walking and it said my HR was 135- I get that at a jog, sure enough after I put it back on, it was in the upper 90s.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! I'd like to share this help article, which explains more information about how your Fitbit devices track heart rate. This article also has some information explaining how to improve the heart rate accuracy.

See you around.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes