Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Rate Spike upon Waking

I bought a Charge 2 about five weeks ago, and I am fascinated by the spikes that occur in my heart rate occasionally.

The strongest spike I have found was 202 beats per minute, which is significantly more than my maximum heart rate.

IMG_5632.PNG

Considering my resting heart rate is 50-60 bpm this seems to be quite a contrast. Usually when I am walking my heart rate increase to 70-120 bpm. I have looked up the British Heart Foundations fact sheet and it doesn't mention anything about this.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/-/media/files/publications/medical-information-sheets/pps007_fact-sheet_your-...

Kirsty, Islington, London Alta, Charge 2 - iPhone, iPad, Mac
Best Answer
0 Votes
32 REPLIES 32

I have the same think- resting heart rate is in the high 50s but once awake and moving around/ getting ready I’ve noticed spikes up to 100. I’ve had bloodwork and an ekg in the last couple months and dr said it was normal. I was also diagnosed with panic disorder so maybe you have anxiety in the morning? If you can’t try to check your boood pressure to at this time to see how much it changes 

Best Answer

Have you found anything that helps? I have this also!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here. I noticed they are common when I put my Fitbit just after a shower. I caught them a few times live and checked manually my HR: it was OK, not excessively high. 

I suspect equipment glitch. Nevertheless having a cardio check is useful. I did one and this was a good confirmation everything was fine. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you! I will keep an eye on it!
Best Answer
0 Votes

You should get a stress test done at your cardiologist's office. That's how i found out about Wpw, it's an extra electrical pathway in your heart.

Best Answer

edit:  I just realized how old this thread is. Anyway, to anyone with this issue, my suggestion still stands. 🙂

I get this, as well, and +1 to the suggestions to take a manual pulse and verify if it is accurate, as I notice that it often isn't, unfortunately.

If it IS accurate, and your pulse actually is jumping that high, might I suggest getting a thyroid test, if you haven't already. I have Hashimotos for about 25 years now and have been plagued with HR palpitations, flip-flops, and occasional racing heart for no reason. Plenty of 24-hr tests later, nothing found wrong, and it is attributed to the thyroid hormones.

there are, of course, other issues that can cause a racing heart, so it is good to get checked!

Best Answer
0 Votes
The groundwork of all happiness is health
Best Answer
0 Votes

I got testing done with a cardiologist because I was having similar issues. My resting HR was rising daily and I felt awful. I more have a diagnosis and a treatment plan. I'm glad I was paying attention to my health.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for sharing! May I ask what you have?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS)
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you... definitely can relate to this diagnosis! May I ask how you
were tested for this?
Best Answer
0 Votes
It is diagnosed with a tilt table study.
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is probably way too late but please research POTS Syndrome as a possible cause.

Best Answer