Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate during run

Hi, I am a new runner, quit smoking about 6 months ago. I have a charge 2 . I am struggling to get distance or speed. i have monitored my heart rate and found that it rarely gets into the peak zone even though I often feel like i am at my physical end of the line. not sure if I should be at peak or not. Any input appreciated. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

i worked with a running coach a few years ago, and 80% of my runs were at aerobic threshold, meaning they were pretty slow.  I was doing an hour to and 1.5 hours at a HR of 143 to 150. Sometimes I would even have to slow to a brisk walk to keep my HR down. 

2 days per week, I would do more speed and hill springs to get up to that peak HR training. 

If you read about aerobic threshold, you need this to build your cardio system.  You should actually get faster running more so at this level rather than pushing yourself to peak HR every time you run.  Plus, if you do that, and you are a new runner, you are going to probably injure yourself too.

https://trailrunnermag.com/training/trail-tips/when-and-why-to-train-below-aerobic-threshold.html

If you want to be a better runner, I would look into a running coach to build you a plan for a short period of time.  It was super helpful for me.

Best Answer

Also, if you really want to do legit HR training, you need to get a HR monitor with a chest strap.  The fitbits are okay, but not 100% reliable especially when you to more interval training.  the HR monitor with the chest strap can give you more real data as to HR.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Steph_J@ljvmason

Great article, Steph. Here is another good one from the same source.

Last year, I signed up for Jeff Galloway's e-coaching course. He kept saying it doesn't matter how slowly a person runs a distance. The benefits are still the same. 

I've read many books by old runners who suggest the first goal should be an hour of "running" including warmup miles. For new runners, this can mean working up to an hour of slow walking. It doesn't start to get fun until after twenty minutes. 

I suggest keeping a journal with whatever data you want to follow. You get to choose which data. All training methods work. Track even the smallest aches and pains. I find that after I take a break from running for a while, I cycle through the same weak areas. Anytime you experience a new ache or pain, don't be afraid to reduce your time running or to take a day off. Failure to do this can result in chronic injuries and fruitless visits to doctors who are sure to find something else wrong with you to turn you into a permanent patient. This is how they take the most money

Running is only one component of a training program that includes everything you do during the day. I'm currently tracking my calories burned each day, and I've found the important concept is limiting them to a level that doesn't produce injuries or long-term fatigue. If I want to run long one morning, then I have to choose something else to limit during the day. When I reach my limit, I stop. Today, I don't have much work to do, so I'll run an hour or so instead of my usual half hour. 

Best Answer

you are probably feeling like that because your overall fitness may not be ready for the intensity of running. Not to say you shouldn't run, but you have to temper your expectations of how far and how fast you will go. I would suggest to start with one or the other. Either run for X amount of minutes and not worry about how far or pick a distance and not worry about how fast. You will begin to build stamina and can begin to increase one or the other, eventually both. Your heart will get stronger since that is one of the primary muscles you are training during cardio and you will figure out cardio vs peak without dying. 

I would encourage you to also include other things in your workout regime. Just running is really wearing on your feet, hips and joints, plus it is just one aspect of overall fitness. Try zumba, walking, elliptical, cross trainers, spin classes, weight lifting, kick boxing - the possibilities are endless. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer